Second Skin Audio

Port: How long is too long?

akuma4u

5 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

No, he didn't read it wrong.  I did say it should be two times the width of the port so as not to affect the tuning frequency.  It has to be at least one port width away to keep from obstructing the airflow.

Think about it this way.  If the end of the port is exactly one port width away, it will extend the effective length of the port.  You can use this to your advantage sometimes to get a longer port.  You need to plan for it though.

Here are some pics to show what I'm talking about.
image.png.63b644cafb80ce73bb3bc348feb48f1b.png
In this picture, you want the port to be 35-3/8" long, so that's what you sized your port panels for.  However the port ends exactly one port width away from side panel, this effectively lengthens the port.

Capture.JPG.c325dfbccbe623ff076615fea4a51b9b.JPG

The port length you actually end up with is about 38-1/2".

I never thought about port length like this, but imma screenshot that. Nice little tool to get that extra length, wonder if the miss notices those extra 3 inches 😅😂

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

I never knew it had a 1000 rms per cube limitations or whatever. Other than that, it’s probably dope as fugh. But I tried to use it on a big ass amp on 2 12” subwoofers in an enclosure about 15% bigger than recommended. It was more like 2000 rms per cube, that’s why it didn’t work for me. But triticum hates me now because of that. Lol! Fugh it though. I can’t win everybody over.

Nah, I've talked to him a few times, dude seems mellow prolly don't hate ya, just clarifying that there is limitations to his calculator that's all. 

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

6 hours ago, ehall8702 said:

Nah, I've talked to him a few times, dude seems mellow prolly don't hate ya, just clarifying that there is limitations to his calculator that's all. 

Yeah I spoke to him. He doesn’t hate me. Super chill too. Cool dude. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Archived