Second Skin Audio

Switching from CT meso 8s to DC m38s

AaronT

Well I was running 4 mesos, they all took a shit.

Bought 4 DC m38s.

I'm hoping they'll be all the mesos where in output and more. Although they use a 2" coil as opposed to the meso 2.4", and they use a 2 slug motor instead of 3 slug like mesos.

But the DC's have 3mm more Xmax.

Same enclosure recommendation.

What's do you guys think?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/17/2020 at 1:15 PM, AaronT said:

Well I was running 4 mesos, they all took a shit.

Bought 4 DC m38s.

I'm hoping they'll be all the mesos where in output and more. Although they use a 2" coil as opposed to the meso 2.4", and they use a 2 slug motor instead of 3 slug like mesos.

But the DC's have 3mm more Xmax.

Same enclosure recommendation.

What's do you guys think?

Hopefully those DC's will last longer than those mesos....I would see that as a win

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Look at the Savard Hi-Q8s and add another 2mm of Xmax. They are 40mm total. They also have a 2.5" VCD and around the same power handling.  FS is higher tho than the DCs. 35 vs 41. 

Recommend to me by another member here and I am pretty excited to get them. Waiting for the 2DVC to come back in stock. 

Ported recommend air is pretty low too 1.9ft^3

07 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 3500 SRW 5.9L Cummins Twin Turbos (fraternal not paternal;) 3x 12" 11sL7 2DVC wired to 1.3ohm on Nesa Encore TS Power TE-5000D amp, Kicker 6.5 Q class Components front and rear doors on Memphis PR4x50 amp, Big 6 upgrade for dual Group 34 Yellow tops. Pioneer DEH8400BH HU. 

2016 F6B Goldwing infinity Kappa 50.9CS(factory amp) front and 60.9CS rear(Taramps DS 160.2 Mini amp)

2 hours ago, shane35fowler said:

Look at the Savard Hi-Q8s and add another 2mm of Xmax. They are 40mm total. They also have a 2.5" VCD and around the same power handling.  FS is higher tho than the DCs. 35 vs 41. 

Recommend to me by another member here and I am pretty excited to get them. Waiting for the 2DVC to come back in stock. 

40mm is x mech peak to peak, not Xmax 

They use the Same build house and baskets as American bass 8s.

Savard is good though, they actually test all subs they get and give you its specific TS parameters

4 hours ago, shane35fowler said:

The same guy (gator1873) that is complaining about them cdt components that he read about and thought were the very best mids and highs out right now from what he read and got information pumped in his head by somebody on another forum is the same guy that recommended them savard hi-q8s to you. He hasn’t even got the enclosure built for the ones he has (he is trying to get triticum to design him an enclosure.) and has never physically heard them subwoofers and you blindly took his advice. Don’t get me wrong, they are good subwoofers. But don’t ever take advice from a noob that hasn’t even heard the product and is basing his advice off of what he has read online and a big d wiz video he watched about savard hi-q8s lol! I wouldn’t wait on them subwoofers when there are A BUNCH of better 8” subwoofers out there that are in that price range and available to order right now. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

2 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

The same guy (gator1873) that is complaining about them cdt components that he read about and thought were the very best mids and highs out right now from what he read and got information pumped in his head by somebody on another forum is the same guy that recommended them savard hi-q8s to you. He hasn’t even got the enclosure built for the ones he has (he is trying to get triticum to design him an enclosure.) and has never physically heard them subwoofers and you blindly took his advice. Don’t get me wrong, they are good subwoofers. But don’t ever take advice from a noob that hasn’t even heard the product and is basing his advice off of what he has read online and a big d wiz video he watched about savard hi-q8s lol! I wouldn’t wait on them subwoofers when there are A BUNCH of better 8” subwoofers out there that are in that price range and available to order right now. 

I dont make a habit of blindly listening to advise from anyone lol. I did my due diligence and am local to them so was able to listen to them. Even underpowered they sounded pretty good. But I don't own them yet. 

Ive never heard the Hutchinson ETA-8s either but I'm betting they sound pretty good. 

I picked up a pair of the Savard rap components and they sound damn good for the money. 

And

Xmax is Maximum linear peak (or sometimes peak-to-peak) excursion of the cone. 

Xmerc Maximum physical excursion of the driver before physical damage

point being they are often used interchangeably 

07 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 3500 SRW 5.9L Cummins Twin Turbos (fraternal not paternal;) 3x 12" 11sL7 2DVC wired to 1.3ohm on Nesa Encore TS Power TE-5000D amp, Kicker 6.5 Q class Components front and rear doors on Memphis PR4x50 amp, Big 6 upgrade for dual Group 34 Yellow tops. Pioneer DEH8400BH HU. 

2016 F6B Goldwing infinity Kappa 50.9CS(factory amp) front and 60.9CS rear(Taramps DS 160.2 Mini amp)

Archived