Sundown Audio

Help setting gain with multimeter

i3laine

36 minutes ago, i3laine said:

But the speakers create the load, not the amps. This is the barevids video that has me confused.

I know that. But when you strap 2 1ohm stable amps together it makes the combination 2ohms stable. You can throw any impedance on that strap but 2ohms is what it’s STABLE at. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

44 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

I know that. But when you strap 2 1ohm stable amps together it makes the combination 2ohms stable. You can throw any impedance on that strap but 2ohms is what it’s STABLE at. 

Ah. You are absolutely right. I am trying to them lower than what they're stable at, I was just hoping that if I didn't run them maxed out, and kept them cool, that it would be doable. I understand that it's not advisable, and that I risk screwing them up. I just can't afford to go buy 1 bigger amp right now. Sometimes you've just gotta piss with the d!ck you've got. If they blow, they blow, the best solution either way will be to upgrade to a single, bigger amp. I'm just trying to work with what I have for now. I may just do what I said previously, just turn them up til they clip, back them off, and experiment with finding a level that they can run cool enough at to not go into protect all the time.

Running a 2ohm strap at half an ohm even for a burp is unsafe and will probably go right into protect. No matter where you set the gain. You won’t even be able to listen to music. And the combination of the amps is putting out 4500 rms at 2 ohms and you want less rms than 4500 and want to wire it at a half ohm which would triple the 4500 rms and make each amp run at a quarter ohm. That’s backwards dude. To generate less rms and not damage them amps you will have to run at 2ohms with the gain tweaked or run at a higher impedance. But to be real with you, 4500 rms at 2 ohms is before impedance rise and voltage drop. You forgot about impedance rise and voltage drop. Or didn’t know about it at all. If you don’t know what impedance rise is then research it. So you’re generating, with the amp set regular, less than the 3200 rms you are seeking and no where near 4500 rms. I have a 12,000 rms amp and I’ll be lucky to generate 7000 to 8000 rms out of it after impedance rise, even with minimal voltage drop because I have a top notch electrical system. You have to factor in impedance rise no matter what. And voltage drop has to be factored in too. Just set the gain regular and I promise you will not exceed 3200 rms. And remember, the amps strapped are running at 2 ohms, so 4500 rms at 2 ohms. Wiring down on a strap wires each impedance on each amp down. If you wire to 1 ohm on the strap then each amp is running at 0.5 ohm and if you wire to 0.5 ohm on the strap then each amp is running at 0.25 ohm. So the strap being 2 ohms then each amp is running at 1 ohm. Also, what kind of amps are they?

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Just now, 1point21gigawatts said:

Running a 2ohm strap at half an ohm even for a burp is unsafe and will probably go right into protect. No matter where you set the gain. You won’t even be able to listen to music. And the combination of the amps is putting out 4500 rms at 2 ohms and you want less rms than 4500 and want to wire it at a half ohm which would triple the 4500 rms and make each amp run at a quarter ohm. That’s backwards dude. To generate less rms and not damage them amps you will have to run at 2ohms with the gain tweaked or run at a higher impedance. But to be real with you, 4500 rms at 2 ohms is before impedance rise and voltage drop. You forgot about impedance rise and voltage drop. Or didn’t know about it at all. If you don’t know what impedance rise is then research it. So you’re generating, with the amp set regular, less than the 3200 rms you are seeking and no where near 4500 rms. I have a 12,000 rms amp and I’ll be lucky to generate 7000 to 8000 rms out of it after impedance rise, even with minimal voltage drop because I have a top notch electrical system. You have to factor in impedance rise no matter what. And voltage drop has to be factored in too. Just set the gain regular and I promise you will not exceed 3200 rms. And remember, the amps strapped are running at 2 ohms, so 4500 rms at 2 ohms. Wiring down on a strap wires each impedance on each amp down. If you wire to 1 ohm on the strap then each amp is running at 0.5 ohm and if you wire to 0.5 ohm on the strap then each amp is running at 0.25 ohm. So the strap being 2 ohms then each amp is running at 1 ohm. Also, what kind of amps are they?

Thank you for taking the time to give so much detail. The whole picture is this: I had 2 Sundown sa 12's on an audiopipe 1800.1D (I know AP is cheap, so please don't shit on me or them), in a large box in a hatchback with the seat folded down. I had a baby, so I needed to be able to put the seat up but the box was too big. I found a guy looking to get rid of a Zv4 12-D2. I traded him my 2 sa's for his one zv4. So I was able to go from a 5ish cube box to a 3ish cube box, but everyone was saying that 1800 watts was nothing for the sub. Because I have the baby now, I was trying to not spend a ton and I bought another 1800.1d amp to strap, totally ignorant to the fact that strapping amps changes their nominal stable impedance. At this point, I'm just trying to get the most I can safely out of my setup for the time being. The 4500 watt max number I gave is half based on what I figured the 2 amps would put out to a 1 ohm load, and half pulled out of my ass; but I figured that 3200 watts would be a good enough number to not over push the sub or the amps. If I'm completely backwards, please let me know and tell me what you think I should do instead.

12 hours ago, i3laine said:

But the speakers create the load, not the amps. This is the barevids video that has me confused.

Yeah speaker creates the load,but strapping two amps that are 1 ohm stable can only handle a 2 ohm final load. You wire your amps strapped and show em a .5 ohm load they r gonna shut down. Definantly do sum reading before you wire your setup up or chance ruining all your equipment. 

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Archived