Second Skin Audio

Help and advice on building a monster subwoofer

as someone who has built a frankenwoofer, i can say you will likely end up spending more on the frankenwoofer compared to prebuilt, it's a fun hobby but not cheap.  especially considering that almost everyone does something wrong their first time, like not having the right type or number of spiders in the stack.   when getting into the power territory you're looking at, you're not going to be able to cobble it together with off the shelf parts, it's going to require custom everything except for basket and soft parts, basically the most expensive bits, the motor and coil are going to have to be custom made, you need a solid electrical engineering degree to figure out the proper motor strength to handle that much juice, it's a LOT more than just making your own mag stacks.

I don't want to discourage you from the idea, plenty of people tried to do it to me and i went ahead anyway, and the 10" sub i made takes a solid 2k rms easily.  but i also know that at some point i will have to rebuild it, reliability won't be the same as an off the shelf, pre built by pros, sub.

Archived