Second Skin Audio

Help in building a monster sub

19 minutes ago, audiofanaticz said:

Voice coils are not rated in wattage, even the manufacture of the best coils has no real idea on wattage.

You can take the same coil and use it in 2 completely different woofers. One woofer it may handle 3000 watts rms, while the other woofer it will handle 6000 watts rms. 

A lot of it is in the cooling of the motor.

Trying to keep up with 2 10 inch mids shouldn't be hard at all with decent woofer. 
Im going to go out on the limb and say your 3000 watt 12 inch sub you had was either not a legit 3000 watt sub with inflated bogus ratings, or you had an amp that doesnt make any decent power to push the sub cleanly to its potential.

Well the  mids i have are 1000rms each being  push by a taramps 😅 it's extreamly loudddd. .

But there's something  about the coil wiregauge or  size  that determines the maximum power it can  actually  handle.  Regardless of the motor 

That's  what i wanna  know then

If I was you I'd contact Patrick Chandler on Facebook, he runs robot underground.

He's one of the most knowledgeable people's I know about building subwoofers. 

Unless you have the pole piece to accommodate the extra length added by the additional slugs, it won't matter much.

Also there is a maximum saturation point in the motor assembly (saturation of magnetism, flux, etc) that may also lead to extra slugs doing nothing.

I'm not very well versed in the topic but I talked to Patrick a lot and from the few years I've been talking to him this is kind of what I gathered

20 hours ago, AaronT said:

If I was you I'd contact Patrick Chandler on Facebook, he runs robot underground.

He's one of the most knowledgeable people's I know about building subwoofers. 

Unless you have the pole piece to accommodate the extra length added by the additional slugs, it won't matter much.

Also there is a maximum saturation point in the motor assembly (saturation of magnetism, flux, etc) that may also lead to extra slugs doing nothing.

I'm not very well versed in the topic but I talked to Patrick a lot and from the few years I've been talking to him this is kind of what I gathered

Yes thank you spoke to him Already.

Two question i want to ask.

1.) Which type of voice coil will take the highest rms possible for daily. (At 40hz and big ported box) round copper/flat copper/round aluminum or flat aluminum. 

And

2.) What gauge voice coil wire handles those kind of power. Thanks 

(Aiming for either dual 0.5ohms or dual 2ohms)

Thanks a bunch 

Flat aluminum can handle more heat so that’s the way to go for more rms handling. And when it comes to terminal to coil leads, read this. Get stitched leads on the spider. Doing big wires straight will cause wire slapping and something could eventually malfunction. 
https://psicaraudio.com/leadwire/

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

5 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Flat aluminum can handle more heat so that’s the way to go for more rms handling. And when it comes to terminal to coil leads, read this. Get stitched leads on the spider. Doing big wires straight will cause wire slapping and something could eventually malfunction. 
https://psicaraudio.com/leadwire/

Thanks so much ill see go get a roll of that if its not tooo expensive.  But how do you know about what guage calculations towards the coil youre doing? Ik theres different ohm at differeny wined per 1000ft or whatever but the gauge itself? 

Archived