Second Skin Audio

4th Order Bandpass for boat

Hello everyone, its been a long time since I have played in the box building game.  I use to have access to all sorts of high end software to design boxes, now I am just a regular home build hack.  I want to build a box for my boat.  The kicker here is that I only have 1 spot to build the box and its going to be extremely funky because of the location.  The build is not the problem, figuring out the specs is where I am getting confused.  I have used a few different sites / configurators and keep coming up with a port that is 6" diameter by roughly 4" long.  This just doesnt seem right to me.  My goal here is twofold: 1. Have the subwoofer completely enclosed in the box to protect it from physical damage. 2. Have the port run up the side of the boat toward the storage area on the side.  The box is going to be in the back under the engine cover so a regular sealed or ported box will not do much for getting the sound out.  If I shoot a port up the side through the tunnel where all the wiring and other sundry items are run, the sound will be able to come out in front of the engine cover.  This is in a 19' ski boat.  I have tried to figure out anywhere else to put the sub but the design of my boat just is not conducive to a "simple" install.

The sub I want to use is the Alpine S-W12D4.  Single 12" powered by an older Rockford Power T500-1bd. My first request is to get some assistance with the port size.  I just ran some numbers through AJ Bandpass Designer 2.0 and its telling me that Vf = 1.1cf, Vr = 1.33cf with Fb = 75, Ft = 43.7, Fh 130Hz and Lp = 6" round by 7" long.

Something just doesnt seem right.  Once I have the specs figured out, I can then design the box around what I need to do.  I will run out and get some pictures in just a bit to help clarify what I am working with as I may ask for some suggestions on the actual design as well since this is not going to be a straighforward square box, I may need to use some fiberglass due to hull curves.

For now, any advice you guys can provide would be great.  Ultimately the longer my port the better but I will work with what is most efficient and recommended.  

Thanx everyone!

• 5 months later...

Archived