Sonic Electronix

Will this ground location work?! Please help

Hi everyone, im in some serious need of help. I just recently purchase and will be doing my own sub and amp installation. My setup will be JL RD500/1 for the amp and 12w0v3 for the sub. My problem right now is that my 2018 tacoma access cab doesnt have a lot of good grounding point in the back. Unless I drill my own holes which is the last resort, can someone take a look at this picture and tell me if this will be a good ground? In the picture you see, is a bolt down area for the rear small seat. This is the only spot i can find with a bolt that will fit through the ground cable terminal to be bolted down to the car chassis. However as you can see there is a piece of metal (part of the rear seat) between the car chassis and the ground cable. Will this work for the ground? Ive sanded down every side of that seat latch to make a bare metal to metal contact with the car chassis. Will this work? Or will I have to drill the ground directly to the chassis with nothing in between? 

68583DD7-2FF9-42A9-A34A-C82D50A9E350.jpeg

Grounding to seatbelt bolts are weak grounds and your amp will run hot, clip easier, voltage won’t be as good and the amp will go into protect after playing awhile, quicker at higher volume, and then eventually the amp will fail. Bad grounding spot. Never ground to a seatbelt bolt. You can see that it’s just a little piece of metal welded to the chassis. You are just gonna be grounded to a little piece of metal welded to the chassis, which is a weak ground. For sure. Ground to a bolt that bolts the seats to the chassis (as long as it’s straight on the chassis and no pieces of metal welded before the chassis) if it’s hard to find a good factory bolt location and if you don’t want to drill and tap custom grounds. You have to always ground straight to the chassis or the frame. But in this case since you want a factory spot then the chassis is where you want to ground too. Plus, the shorter the ground, the better. The bolts that bolt the seats in on the ground of the cabin will be a perfect spot as long as it’s straight on the chassis. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Archived