Second Skin Audio

Should I ?

Backwoods

So I got a sundown sfb 1000d amp pushing 2 DD 200 series 10" entry level subs. Prefab box for DD subs by atrend, subs/port rear facing. It sounds good. No complaints... I drive a 4runner SUV...

But there's a  REALLY good deal on a custom down 4sound enclosure local to me, kerf ported with plexiglass window looking nice... Noticeably Less than half off... Good deal... It's also subs up port back, more ideal placements for my SUV than both rear facing.... BUT IT'S FOR TWO 12 INCH SUBS. Not 2 10 inch subs...

Should I get the box, and go to 12 INCH subs? I don't want to change amps too... So I'd have to use maybe the Sundown E series subs which are 500rms, or maybe the SA classics that are 750, but they'll be a bit underpowered...

Should I, or just be happy with what I got and keep the 10s...  Would it make much difference changing up if I'm still on only 1000rms... More cone area, box with better placement for SUV... But really?

Current setup

IMG_20200622_175323608.jpg

Singer 250amp Alt, Singer PCM bypass harness

Titan8 Lithium Underhood safe BCI PWR-S5

Big 3 W/ dual runs of power/ground. All 1/0awg OFC

SounDigital EVO 5K amp, Two 15" Fi SSD subs

Next Level Fabrication @ 7 cubes net, tuned to 32HZ 

I would upgrade to 2 12's that where 1000 watt rms each...... push them with that 1000 watt amp.... and use that as an excuse to start beefing up your electrical for more upgrades/ bigger amps 👍.... or just upgrade to 2 12's that will work with that amp

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

I dont want to take up my cargo area permanently, The sub box pulls out quickly with an XT60 connector. This amp stays under the front passenger seat perfectly. Larger amps, extra batts... All of that would make it a long drawn out process to get my cargo area back empty every time i need it... Which is at least once a week.... 

Really i like the look of the 2 12 box... Its nice looking, But how often will i really be looking at it? Im fighting myself on this. Its such a good deal... But id still have to buy the subs too. And my DDs are only a couple weeks old, i already have the DD 500rms amp in a drawer and it wasnt used for more than 2 hours tops. If i do this i will have a full DD system sitting in my garage and rocking a new sundown system mostly because i liked the look of a fancy box LOL

So i dont want the cool look of the box to be the only reason of changing up. If it will sound better that would be a better excuse to do it, but i will be using the same amp, so not sure how much better, if any, it would sound. I understand more cone area, and better box in theory should make a noticeable difference, but in practice....Not always the case.

9 hours ago, Backwoods said:

I dont want to take up my cargo area permanently, The sub box pulls out quickly with an XT60 connector. This amp stays under the front passenger seat perfectly. Larger amps, extra batts... All of that would make it a long drawn out process to get my cargo area back empty every time i need it... Which is at least once a week.... 

Really i like the look of the 2 12 box... Its nice looking, But how often will i really be looking at it? Im fighting myself on this. Its such a good deal... But id still have to buy the subs too. And my DDs are only a couple weeks old, i already have the DD 500rms amp in a drawer and it wasnt used for more than 2 hours tops. If i do this i will have a full DD system sitting in my garage and rocking a new sundown system mostly because i liked the look of a fancy box LOL

So i dont want the cool look of the box to be the only reason of changing up. If it will sound better that would be a better excuse to do it, but i will be using the same amp, so not sure how much better, if any, it would sound. I understand more cone area, and better box in theory should make a noticeable difference, but in practice....Not always the case.

I don't think it's going to be a huge difference, but I don't think that's what you want anyway. I would take into account how your existing mids and highs keep up with the 10's. If you add a little output with the 12's and the bigger box, is it going to drown out the rest of the music? Then you might have to look into upgrading those, opening a can of worms it sounds like you don't want to deal with within this truck. Just my opinion, but if you think your mids and highs will keep up, then I would do it. I don't think it'll be a huge, drastic change in volume, I mean you won't be shattering windows, but the db's will go up noticeably. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

The mids and highs scream, they were the first audio upgrades 

And yeah I'm not wanting to shatter windows... And don't really care about db numbers either. My loudest system ever hit a 154.... But my favorite system ever was 143. This system won't ever even get metered.

I wish the D4S box was for 2 10s... Then it would be a no brainier. We're talking a nice $700 box for $200... Which is awesome... But then I'll spend another ~350 or so on 12 inch subs to match this amp as well... Now we're over 500 for a little gain, but better looks.... 

Then again I could likely sell the full DD setup locally,, subs box and amp and recover $350-400 of that back though too. 

I think I will get the box, but wait on the subs for it. Just so nobody beats me to that great deal. That'll give me time to decide which subs to throw in it...

I could technically add a second battery under my hood. There's a spot for it... Damn the rabbit hole is deep.

I would. Especially because you can recover some money with your current setup. Id grab the SA's because if you do decide to upgrade amps later then the subs will be good.

Also i think you would gain noticeably going from 2-10s to 2-12s on the same power. Then throw in the better box and thats more gains.

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

Yea im going to pick the box up in the morning. And will probably go with the SAs, even if they will be under powered. This box was deigned and used for SA subs originally anyways so its built and tuned for them subs. 

Thanks for all the help convincing me to do it... I posted here for encouragement :D 

1 minute ago, Backwoods said:

Yea im going to pick the box up in the morning. And will probably go with the SAs, even if they will be under powered. This box was deigned and used for SA subs originally anyways so its built and tuned for them subs. 

Thanks for all the help convincing me to do it... I posted here for encouragement :D 

That’s the way to go dude. For sure!

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Archived