Sonic Electronix

Any qualified individuals available to answer some questions?

Having some issues with my system, most audio gave out while driving down the road. I'm assuming that one of the speakers has shorted, however I would like to bounce some ideas off of someone more qualified before I start ordering parts. $40/hr via facebook or venmo if someone will help me out.

Could you be more descriptive in your issues?

Cut out as in all drivers ceased all sound forever? One went off? They came back on later? Etc etc

What have you investigated so far?

Any notable happenings prior, or during this event?

I apologize, all drivers cut out, then 1 came back on (passenger woofer), went back out, then the same driver came back on a few seconds later. There was a noticeable burnt smell. The HU acted normally during this whole event. I checked the fuses on the amp and I've pressed on the cones of both subs to verify that they're not seized, I haven't been able to tear into the door panels yet.

So speakers are powered by headunit and the subs have an amp and they all cut out correct?

Sidenote: we are here to help. You dont have to pay anyone.

Nevermind. I see you are running a 5 channel.

My 1st process of elimination would be checking connections. Ive seen poor grounds be the cause of amps losing power intermittently.

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

19 minutes ago, Wishuponasub said:

So speakers are powered by headunit and the subs have an amp and they all cut out correct?

Sidenote: we are here to help. You dont have to pay anyone.

Nevermind. I see you are running a 5 channel.

My 1st process of elimination would be checking connections. Ive seen poor grounds be the cause of amps losing power intermittently.

Speakers and sub are powered by the amp, amp is in 3ch mode, each door has a crossover. Noticeable burning smell, and one of the 6 speakers is still working, which is why I assumed the problem was a shorted speaker. I forgot to mention that I did change the EQ settings on the HU about a week ago from SBass to Powerful and reduced the input level from 3 to 2. That said, this problem is probably self imposed. I suppose the only questions left are, do I need to tear apart the whole system to test everything or is it more likely that one of the speakers is shorted, and if I have to replace the component set what would be a good recommendation for a set that can handle 200w rms (6.5 + tweeter).

Disconnect all speakers and RCA's from the amp. Measure voltage at amp positive input and remote input. If you have 12v on both of them then measure resistance on each speaker. You will need to measure after the crossover, you will not get a reading through it. Report results.

Also try to pinpoint the smell. Air out the car first then sniff it out. Is it the amp, deck or speakers? Check connections under the hood at the fuse and battery. Especially if you use set screw terminals.

I think if it was only a shorted speaker then multiple channels wouldnt be affected. That may have been the original cause but the amp is toast or there is a signal/rca issue.

Im no expert, just trying to help a little (i could be and probably am wrong).

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

20 minutes ago, CrackFactory said:

Disconnect all speakers and RCA's from the amp. Measure voltage at amp positive input and remote input. If you have 12v on both of them then measure resistance on each speaker. You will need to measure after the crossover, you will not get a reading through it. Report results.

Also try to pinpoint the smell. Air out the car first then sniff it out. Is it the amp, deck or speakers? Check connections under the hood at the fuse and battery. Especially if you use set screw terminals.

Thank you, will report back when I can meter everything after work, initial sniff test:
driver's side woofer - burnt

passenger's side woofer - nothing

driver's midrange - nothing

passenger's midrange - nothing

subs - nothing

amp - nothing

Took a while before I could get out and meter, got stuck in bed extremely sick. I started with the left RCA, afterwards the subs as well as the woofer in the passenger door came back on, mid did not, unplugged the driver's woofer from the crossover and plugged the left rca back in, but the mid did not turn back on.

Meter results:
Each SW: 4ohm

Pass Woofer: 4ohm

Pass M/W: OL

Drive Woofer: 0.4ohm

Drive M/W:OL

Looks like I lost the driver's woofer & mid, and the passenger's mid.

Any recommendations for 4 ohm set of 2 way components that can withstand 200w rms? Preferably 6.5"

Archived