Sonic Electronix

Let me try this again from my PC... and of course I know not to copy and paste anything !

Okay now granted, I just have a "dinky little" 3Kwt system. But I still say, batteries are over rated. IMPO, with any system up to at least 20Kwt, maybe even 30Kwts, you only need 1 battery, and not even an expensive, specialty battery either. Granted, if your driving a Toyota Corolla, you might be limited to one, higher powered alternator, and obviously that's a different story. But for any 1/2 ton truck, or SUV you should be good on alternator space, so if you can generate enough juice, you just don't need all of that expensive storage space. Again, just MPO, but its better to just "make all the juice that you need" right from the get go, than trying to store up juice to be used at a later date.

Anyway, it was a little cooler in Sacramento yesterday. So I went to a park, under a nice shade tree, and beat the chit out of my system for probably an hour. Pushed it to one notch below clipping (like I often do) My system has never sounded better :) Got the DSP pretty dialed in now. While sitting at a 600 rpm idle, and never touching the gas peddle, my voltage never dropped below 14.0 volts. I was super happy with that. When driving, it was staying 14.4 (its regulated at 14.5)

I feel like I might have had the same results if my system were 4 or 5 Kwts, but admittedly, that's just a guess. I'm positive if I could ever get those stinking super capacitors, those would help even more... least wise, with dynamic range, for kick drums and such.

One things for sure, in the future, when I add more or bigger amps, I'm going to totally figure in the cost of another alternator... or two. Whatever it takes to "make" enough continuous juice for the amps I'm running. Plus, maybe super caps will eventually become easier to come by, as well.

PS, Try as I might (because of refresh rates) I couldn't get a shot which showed all three numbers for my voltage... But its kind of misleading anyway, as like I say, it did drop "as low as" 14.0 volts.

My amplifier temps were staying really good too. Only went as high as 105.... which obviously is like "cool as a clam" :)  They cool to below 100 in like a 1 minute break as well. Still need to build a permanent stand and add the other case fan too.

Oh and check that song, "Island of Deceased Ships" by Koan.... great mids / highs, fantastic 20-25 hz bass ;) Fantastic demo song.

IMG_20200629_115535.jpg

IMG_20200629_115524.jpg

IMG_20200629_121131.jpg

Not that it will make much of an audible difference, but I think you would be surprised what your voltage is actually doing if you had a meter that could show quick voltage changes. Something like the SMD or a DMM that had min/max settings. 

Again, not sure it would be an audible difference but what you are seeing is a limitation of how fast meters keep up with voltage changes. Of course I think you know your voltage fluctuates, why else are considering super caps.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

1 hour ago, MrSkippyJ said:

Not that it will make much of an audible difference, but I think you would be surprised what your voltage is actually doing if you had a meter that could show quick voltage changes. Something like the SMD or a DMM that had min/max settings. 

Again, not sure it would be an audible difference but what you are seeing is a limitation of how fast meters keep up with voltage changes. Of course I think you know your voltage fluctuates, why else are considering super caps.

Oh bro, your totally right ! I already know my instantaneous (micro second) dips are probably going to 12V.... heck maybe lower ! And that sucks ! However, I don't think an extra battery.... heck, 6 extra batteries would make a big difference with that. Okay, maybe a little. But I think batteries are "the wrong tool for that job". Super capacitors might not store much juice in amp hours, but what they do store, they will let go of literally thousands of times faster than ANY battery... even a Lithium battery. I mean, one could call super caps batteries I guess, but they have such different parameters, that its like apples and oranges to compare them to Lithiums, or AGM's.

And one day, maybe I will actually receive the stinking things ! Urgggg.... We need to make the ef'ing things here in the US, instead of depending on China. Fuck China.

You are right, batteries aren't the right tool for that. Batteries are helpful when your alternator can't provide enough to keep up with the demand. If you need 400amps at 14 volts and your alt is good for 300 then you need to add extra power. Caps don't help much there but batteries can. If your alt keeps up and all you need to worry about is the fluctuations before the alt responds to the demand then caps make sense. Of course you can add caps to a system with extra batteries to help the alt as well. 

Of course at some point your alternator will be charging all the extra batteries and trying to run the stereo so your voltage will continue to get worse and worse. 

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived