Second Skin Audio

Last resort help..

After researching and reading so many great debates I am posting a help thread. I have a 2018 sierra crew cab and and in search of the best setup for loud and low. My builder said he can squeeze 3.2cu ft after sub and  port displacement @32hz for 4 sundown v8v3. Backseat staying...just cant let it go. So I'm torn between 4 sundown x8v3 or maybe 2 sundown zv510s. Amp is sundown scv4000. Electrical 370a mechman and 2 xs d3100 and knukoncepts 4/0ga wire throughout..big 3 included. any input will help me out. 

if you have the height to fit the 10s, go with them.  2 10s will have 50% more cone area than 4 8s, which will allow you to get more spl.  recommended ported box is 1.5cu ft per zv5 10 so id think youll be good.  if you need more space, look into a seat raising bracket or making your own.

6 hours ago, bmwking said:

if you have the height to fit the 10s, go with them.  2 10s will have 50% more cone area than 4 8s, which will allow you to get more spl.  recommended ported box is 1.5cu ft per zv5 10 so id think youll be good.  if you need more space, look into a seat raising bracket or making your own.

Enlighten me please, how does 2 10s have more cone area than 4 8s? 2x10 is 20 and 4 8s are 32...I know it is generic numbers but makes sense still. I understand xmax and surround play a factor also too. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I'm genuinely asking since it doesn't add up in my head.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

12 minutes ago, ehall8702 said:

Enlighten me please, how does 2 10s have more cone area than 4 8s? 2x10 is 20 and 4 8s are 32...I know it is generic numbers but makes sense still. I understand xmax and surround play a factor also too. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I'm genuinely asking since it doesn't add up in my head.

I was curious aboit it too but didn't want to seem smart either. I know cone area is king  but I don't get the math. From what I've seen on some comments sundown does pretty good with tight spots with good power. Doesn't get any tighter than under s truck seat. And I'll have a true 4k ( most likely more) feeding whichever choice of sub..craving the lows and im sure that takes cone area. 

This is pretty handy to use for determining actual cone area in sq inches.... Though im not sure what he meant by 2 10s have more area than 4 8s...

cone area.png

Singer 250amp Alt, Singer PCM bypass harness

Titan8 Lithium Underhood safe BCI PWR-S5

Big 3 W/ dual runs of power/ground. All 1/0awg OFC

SounDigital EVO 5K amp, Two 15" Fi SSD subs

Next Level Fabrication @ 7 cubes net, tuned to 32HZ 

Pick of my old under seat setup 3 Sundown SA-10’s , would definitely go with 10’s . U always go with 10’s over 8’s if U can fit it they just handle lows better and can always take more power. I’ve tried it all and 10’s win every time. I don’t think you can fit those 10’s though but would love to see it and be wrong , those subs are deep 10.5 inches deep.

FC8A5061-F9D2-4AF9-A46C-0FBB59A11180.jpeg

99B2F053-8F11-450B-9AB2-6AC89103CCD4.jpeg

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

19 minutes ago, Ron36 said:

Pick of my old under seat setup 3 Sundown SA-10’s , would definitely go with 10’s .

FC8A5061-F9D2-4AF9-A46C-0FBB59A11180.jpeg

99B2F053-8F11-450B-9AB2-6AC89103CCD4.jpeg

Nice!! Was it ported? What did you have powering it?  3 subs are just difficult to match up to amps and get all the power they are rated for. 

Have you seen the DD 1506s? I think 4-6 of them properly powered would be insane under a truck seat. Cost a pretty penny too, for 6.5" subs they are high $$. I know a couple guys locally that are always saying sundown is expensive... They never even heard of DD... Crazy. I show them a few DD subs and their prices and their jaws drop. To me sundown is CHEAP. 2K amps and 1K rms subs both under 300 is awesome. 

Hell these little 6.5"  fellas are 370 a piece...

dd65.jpg

65.jpg

Singer 250amp Alt, Singer PCM bypass harness

Titan8 Lithium Underhood safe BCI PWR-S5

Big 3 W/ dual runs of power/ground. All 1/0awg OFC

SounDigital EVO 5K amp, Two 15" Fi SSD subs

Next Level Fabrication @ 7 cubes net, tuned to 32HZ 

American Bass VFL 120.1 at .6 ohms so around 3k on bass , box was sealed I also built one ported for 2 of the subs pretty much sounded the same. I got a build log somewhere on here for both.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

I’ve been looking at those 1506’s for awhile now , Love DD but the dealer thinks I won’t notice a difference.

Archived