Second Skin Audio

dual 2 sub at 26 ohm

i have a d2 sundown sa-12 v2 that, when pulled out of it's previous enclosure, was working well with no signs of anything being broken or damaged. it's been sitting for a few months now, and i got a second one with a new enclosure. disconnected, it reads ~26 ohm. i wired them together, and the reading at the amp was something like 26-30 ohm wired series/parallel. i can push the dust cap/cone down and it'll feel just like the new sa with no scratching but scratches with bass playing. i knew there was a problem at that point, and i'm wondering if anyone has any insight here. is it easily fixable by an amateur? is it worse than i think?

Just now, 1point21gigawatts said:

The subwoofer that is reading a high impedance has a voice coil that is about to go out. That subwoofer needs to be reconed or replaced if you do not know how to recone it with a recone kit or know somebody that does. 

thank you. that's what i was looking for. so i'll learn how to recone a sub soon i suppose.

Just now, 3000iphones said:

thank you. that's what i was looking for. so i'll learn how to recone a sub soon i suppose.

Turn the amps gain down that was on that sub too because you most likely was clipping it and making the voice coil way too hot. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

5 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

To tune an amp’s gain correctly you need to purchase a smd dd1 or make a distortion detector. Because clipping/distortion is the main culprit of blowing subwoofers. 

i'm sure i was clipping it, probably due to my voltage being at 11 and the wolfram wanting 14 instead of my gains being ignorant. i smelled glue, but i heard different opinions on that glue smell. either way i won't have those problems anymore. thank you for your time.

**edit** also, it's strange it'd go out while sitting instead of being in use.

Archived