Second Skin Audio

Looking for JBL W12GTI MKII Alternative Recommendations

On 7/4/2020 at 2:58 AM, black_on_black said:

Now, here is the bad part, W12GTI is discontinued (I could find used ones, but very rare) , and I also want to know if there are even better alternatives (especially me having so little experience).

I've been doing some research, people mentioned these models below for similar sound signature:

SSA Icon

Fi Q

Do guys think I'd have similar results with these? Do you have other recommendations? 

Thank you so much!

Sorry there was another sub I left out. The 2000 and 3,000 series from digital designs

Amazing sound quality, insane build quality, and can get very loud on low power. All characteristics of both the DD 2000/3000 series and the wgti 

Finally.

I was just reading through this feeling my jaw unhinge, reading clearly ignorant newbie comments suggesting some damn expensive yet 100% traditional subs (not even underhung), as if they had a single clue about what made any of them tick.

560ti at least realized how special this sub is... I mean it's not a Tom Danley designed Phoenix Gold Cyclone rotary servo sub, but there's nothing standard about it:

It doesn't have one voice coil, it has two.

And I don't mean "DVC” - I mean two separate winding locations on the former. And they are wound opposite of each other, AND suspended just offset in each of their magnetic gaps (which are also magnetically opposite)...

... Two reasons for that:

1) There's an XBL^2 effect. As the coils from one coil start to exit one gap (reducing BL) the other gap is gaining windings (raising BL). That keeps the BL curve flat across excursion - and that, like nothing else, reduces intermodulation distortion, which is the most audible kind of distortion.

You all even heard the OP describe hearing the eight distort and hearing so little distortion from the 12 that it actually left not just an impression but an epiphany - and then suggested totally low-tech, standard overhung voice coil, humped BL curve nothing-special subs as equivalents?

Holy shit. I need to screw my jaw back on.

Here it is for those too lazy to read:

No sub (including the W7, all XBL variants from any brand - including the JL W7 that uses the pole cross-drilling to achieve the XBL effect and a trick basket and suspension to push the excursion to record levels - and even the PG Cyclone) has this much technology and engineering as the GTI with the DDD motor onboard.

It's as different as electric cars vs internal combustion.

It's also pretty revealing why you don't ask suggestions on a forum - that there's responses THAT ignorant, by people clearly posing like they know what the W12GTi is, is just unbelievable to me. It's this just a social experiment? Was the OP just looking to see who'd bite? Lol

If you truly enjoyed that low IMD, high accuracy with the high output potential - if the W7 is out of your budget, shop for XBL^2 subs. The CSS SDX12 is probably your best bang for the buck, but Adire has been recently reborn again and I can certainly vouch for their 12" Brahma... I worked for a couple small brands back in the day and was an XBL^2 licensee myself after spending lots of time with a Brahma.

To this day, my three reference subwoofers that I keep at my personal home rather than in storage are my 12W7, my GTI12 mk1, and an early prototype XBL^2 sub that for all intents and purposes is a Brahma.

1 hour ago, geolemon said:

Finally.

I was just reading through this feeling my jaw unhinge, reading clearly ignorant newbie comments suggesting some damn expensive yet 100% traditional subs (not even underhung), as if they had a single clue about what made any of them tick.

560ti at least realized how special this sub is... I mean it's not a Tom Danley designed Phoenix Gold Cyclone rotary servo sub, but there's nothing standard about it:

And I don't mean "DVC” - I mean two separate winding locations on the former. And they are wound opposite of each other, AND suspended just offset in each of their magnetic gaps (which are also magnetically opposite)...

1) There's an XBL^2 effect. As the coils from one coil start to exit one gap (reducing BL) the other gap is gaining windings (raising BL). That keeps the BL curve flat across excursion - and that, like nothing else, reduces intermodulation distortion, which is the most audible kind of distortion.

You all even heard the OP describe hearing the eight distort and hearing so little distortion from the 12 that it actually left not just an impression but an epiphany - and then suggested totally low-tech, standard overhung voice coil, humped BL curve nothing-special subs as equivalents?

No sub (including the W7, all XBL variants from any brand - including the JL W7 that uses the pole cross-drilling to achieve the XBL effect and a trick basket and suspension to push the excursion to record levels - and even the PG Cyclone) has this much technology and engineering as the GTI with the DDD motor onboard.

It's also pretty revealing why you don't ask suggestions on a forum - that there's responses THAT ignorant, by people clearly posing like they know what the W12GTi is, is just unbelievable to me. It's this just a social experiment? Was the OP just looking to see who'd bite? Lol

If you truly enjoyed that low IMD, high accuracy with the high output potential - if the W7 is out of your budget, shop for XBL^2 subs. The CSS SDX12 is probably your best bang for the buck, but Adire has been recently reborn again and I can certainly vouch for their 12" Brahma... I worked for a couple small brands back in the day and was an XBL^2 licensee myself after spending lots of time with a Brahma.

To this day, my three reference subwoofers that I keep at my personal home rather than in storage are my 12W7, my GTI12 mk1, and an early prototype XBL^2 sub that for all intents and purposes is a Brahma.

I must say, that was an explication and a lesson! Thank you! I'm glad I checked this thread and got to read that

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

13 hours ago, geolemon said:

Finally.

To be fair this is a mostly SPL forum so or course your not going to get great answers on the wgti. This forum is mostly brands like sundown, CT sound, skar, soundqubed, American bass, Orion, hifonics.......ect

It's not so much ignorance so much as this is probably the wrong forum for this type of hardware. A place like diymobile is where you'll find people running audison, hertz, morel, audiofrog, illusion audio.....ect

I used to have an older 12 with the black dust cap, not a bad sounding woofer, alpines type X actually reminded me of the way it sounded, maybe you could find someone with one of those? If your hunting for affordable sq woofers, take a listen to an idmax also.

I believe diamond audio made a differential drive sub similar to the gti.

Also there the crossfire super gausse (not quite the same, but sports a dual wound coil and dual motor)

Of course the AA SMD line, similar to the crossfire, and the fi super gausse neo.

Also the tf t19, although not differential,  it should be on par with the sq of the gti.

• 9 months later...

Eathquake sound makes 2 subs that may work @black_on_black, they are the holees and the sub zero. @geolemon, these two drivers do lack anything in common with the gti and they are spl subs but i think in the proper setup either subwoofer would sound pretty clean. Also can anyone recommend a shop that can repair a w12gti? I have 4 and would like to keep them relatively matching (see photo below, this is not their permanent home, and they are not running off of that reciever, again the old clapped out box is a storage place until they go into a new car). I know that PSI does a 4 ohm replacement for the moving parts but i would rather keep them as 6 ohm. As for a diy, finding the 36 - 40 guage flat aluminum wire to edge wind the coils with is almost impossible, unless anyone is willing to donate $5k to my repair fund so i can order a custom roll of magnet wire off of alibaba. @560ti you can buy jbl's pro line of D.D. subs but they arent quite the same.

Eathquake Sub Zero

https://www.earthquakesound.com/index.php/en/car-audio-division/car-products/car-subwoofers/item/subzero-12

Eathquake Holees

https://earthquakesound.com/~earthqv2/index.php/en/car-audio-division/car-products/car-subwoofers/item/holees-12

JBL 2262 (differential drive subwoofer)

https://www.parts-express.com/JBL-2262HPL-338312-004X-12-Neo-Woofer-294-450?gclid=CjwKCAjw7J6EBhBDEiwA5UUM2sKkuMzCPhnHGCEDFz_IEMxgAa7E6YaqnM1tAu6e6Lqh2vtGQqIsUhoC0lIQAvD_BwE

16195180255992797860680534540885.thumb.jpg.aee042bda24456e489297e0d566ed497.jpg

• 6 months later...

I miss my old jbl mk2 I know exactly what you mean when you say you like that sub.  By far the best woofer I've ever owned and regret selling it big time.  I had 1 in a box that was woofer on top with a rear port at the bottom in a jeep wrangler on a old pioneer 760watt Amp and that thing pounded harder then my current dc audio lv4 on 1500watts. Also sounded much better then any sub I've ever owned.  That jbl definitely was game changing forsure and wish I knew how special that thing was when I had it too. 

Archived