Second Skin Audio

2x RE Audio Triple X 15" Enclosure

image91

What type or amp? And without even knowing that, I could safely say 8 cubes on 110sq” of port would be smarter on any setup. 9 cubes on 100sq” of port isnt enough port. But if them subwoofers call for around 4.8 cubes anyways, then I’d just do 9.5 cubes on around 14sq” of port per cube. That equaling 133sq” of port. But this is just me figuring on a good versatile enclosure, no matter the rms. But if rms is crazy then I’m gonna say go smaller on the volume. If rms isn’t that crazy after rise then ima say go bigger on the volume. And port sizing would differ according to the rms. I just need to know the amp. I know you said the rms, but I need to know more.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can barely go 9 ft^3 100 in^2 to be honest. That would be the absolute largest I can probably go & that's very inconvenient at the moment. Will be using a pair of Steg k1.2500. Appreciate the input bro.

20 hours ago, image91 said:

Can barely go 9 ft^3 100 in^2 to be honest. That would be the absolute largest I can probably go & that's very inconvenient at the moment. Will be using a pair of Steg k1.2500. Appreciate the input bro.

That would work and it would have a nice wide bandwidth because of the smaller port. That’s something positive to say about that build. I wish you could fit more port. But if you squeeze more port in on better tuning, it would have a super nice bandwidth. You need to tweak. You are underperforming and if you trust me, this new build is gonna make you as happy as a fat kid at a free buffet beside the ice cream machine. :)

Shrink the port length to a tuning of about 32hz or 33hz so you have enough volume to widen the port to get as close to 14sq” per cube as permitted. Try your best to stay around 9 cubes or bigger. You don’t have to tune that enclosure as low as you are talking about. That’s actually crazy to think you have if you study that subwoofers numbers. Don’t let manufacturers get in your head about recommendations. Use recommendations as a guide, not a definite. Study the subwoofers numbers, as in specs and parameters. And to just let you know dude, f3 isn’t the enclosure tuning recommendation or reference or whatever. Reference fb when it comes to enclosure tuning. F3 is when a subwoofer is -3db’s down. So that’s crazy to tune an enclosure at a frequency when the decibels begin to decrease. I’m telling you dude, tune at 32-33hz. Keep in mind, that 30hz fb recommendation is just something to reference and figure. Let’s say you do like to go by recommendations. I can prove to you this tuning is just. Since you are making that enclosure smaller than recommended, then it’s optimal to increase the enclosure resonance frequency. So from 30hz to 32-33hz is just in reference to the decrease of recommended volume. I figure the numbers without following recommendations, and then I referenced recommendations and it fit logically.

I plotted everything out & did a fair amount of comparisons in WinISD. Not a fan of a heavy 40 Hz + & lack in the low 30s. Just my personal preference. Ideally, if I can achieve a semi-flat response with significant output still possible down to 28 I'd be happy. Was trying to get my 30Hz within 3 db of the peak,or close to. For some reason when I plot this sub the response seems to peak a lot higher than the tuning frequency. At 8 net 30Hz, shows a peak of 40/41 Hz & 30Hz is - 5db from there. I got the specs from the manual. The large recommended spec on these is 4 ft^3 net 32Hz.

Winisd isn’t consistently accurate. No matter what it says, it’s always been in beta stage and still is. I don’t use it. It’s proven flawed to me too many times. But more importantly. I just thought about it, why are you trying to do 9 cubes on 2 15s that call for about 2.3-2.5 cubes apiece, that would be better off around 3 cubes per? Are you building an enclosure on 4 15s? Then 9 cubes would make sense. And low tuning on a small enclosure isn’t the best sounding and isn’t that loud. So I can understand going bigger, but are you doing 4 15s? I got confused because I thought you made a 6 cube enclosure and I was guessing you bought more subwoofers and wanted to build a bigger enclosure. And if you are not happy with that enclosure, it’s because you believed winisd too much and tuned it too low. But winisd does good too. Don’t get me wrong. But even on their newest, I’ve still seen flaws too many occasions that have made me super offish. I converse with other builders and do many designs and builds. Most of us agree on winisd. Let me know what’s up before you waste wood. Because if you are chasing better output after that one build then it’s gonna be minimum gain or decrease because of the size increase. When going bigger isn’t done correctly and is too big or the port isn’t correct, then it decreases output. If you want an increase, buy a bigger amp(s), or, my recommendation is buy different subwoofers because triple x subwoofers don’t create much sound pressure compared to other subwoofers in or around the same rms rating. Triple x subwoofers are kind of like sound quality excursion subwoofers, like SQL thats sexy to watch. Kind of like a good looking stripper that doesn’t get naked and is classy and you can’t have sex with.

45 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Kind of like a good looking stripper that doesn’t get naked and is classy and you can’t have sex with.

That doesn't sound like a stripper at all..... that sounds like a wife 🤣

Listen to my man, he really does know what he's talking about. People that he's designed enclosures for on here, I haven't seen not one be disappointed. Ultimately, you're going to do what you want, and that's cool too, but I would listen to @1point21gigawatts. dude knows his shit

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

The previous enclosure is 6 ft^3 net, 80 in^2 port area tuned to 30 Hz. That is the biggest I could have fit with everything fitting under the stock trunk pull so nothing was visible. As far as I could see, it's performing nowhere near what I hoped for on low end. My previous single 15 sounded more impressive on low end than these two. 

The ideal recommended for these is 4.0 ft^3 net per sub as per the manual. Saw that you mentioned 2.3-2.5 & 3.0 per sub? That seems pretty small for any 15 from my limited experience. I am chasing a significant/impressive low end reproduction & so a larger enclosure (not oversized) would be beneficial as far as I know. 

I am using WinISD as more of a guideline to be honest. I have seen many have the same opinion that you shared. Not doubting you at all. Very open-minded when it comes to these things. To clarify, using two 15s. I have also been using Triticum's port area calculator to try my best to stay within at least the minimum recommended port area. 

I can no longer fit 9 ft^3 net. After removing older system & offering up new layout, I am more limited on space than I expected. I also ran into the issue of not being able to install the subs in the vehicle due to height limitations. I will probably be doing two separate enclosures so that I can install the subs outside of the vehicle & then put the enclosures in. This would be more feasible than trying to install a mono-chamber enclosure with 150 lbs. of subs as I do everything myself. I am leaning towards each being 4.0 ft^3 net, 55 in^2 port area tuned to 30 Hz. This is not final but seems to be do-able at the moment. 

Thoughts? 

Thanks again 👊🏼

It recommends about 2.7 cubes net volume on one subwoofer and about 2.4 cubes net volume per subwoofer on 2 subwoofers. I said 3 cubic feet because of the recommendations. I know 3 cubes per 15” subwoofer is small. That’s what I told myself. I figured they recommended a smaller enclosure because the subwoofer is kind of like a sound quality subwoofer and would do better in that aspect in a smaller enclosure with a better response and control. And going bigger helps on lower end output. So I said go a tad bigger to yield the sound quality of said subwoofer. I know you want spl, but it’s not the best subwoofer to do so. But it’s almost possible. Let me tell you what’s up. I was being lazy. My bad. I just broke down the t/s parameters and now I know what’s up. I looked at the vas and calculated that subwoofers total Q.  And per the Q and the vas, them subwoofers would be able to go as big as 3.5 cubes per subwoofer. And I would recommend around 100sq” of port area. Going any bigger would cause that subwoofer to begin to sound like it is free air playing. That’s why they recommended a smaller enclosure because of the amount of vas on that subwoofer in reference to the total Q of that subwoofer. So going any bigger would begin to decrease output. 4 cubes per is too much and wouldn’t be as loud as 3.5 cubes per. And to be honest with you, 3.5 cubes per is pushing it. I was thinking 3.3 cubes per. But 3.5 cubes per would be ok, since you are set thinking bigger is better on them subwoofers. Tune it to 30-32hz. And to be honest with you, what you are wanting out of that subwoofer isn’t going to happen, no matter the enclosure or port size. That subwoofer isn’t an spl subwoofer. I would buy some 15” resilient sounds platinum subwoofers and do that cubes on that same 3.5 cube per subwoofer enclosure if you aren’t impressed by them xxx subwoofers. Because xxx subwoofers aren’t gonna impress you. But try that 3.5 cubes per and then decide from there. Either way, you’ll have a good size enclosure that would do well on multiple different 15” subwoofers.

Archived