Second Skin Audio

2x RE Audio Triple X 15" Enclosure

image91

Appreciate the write up bro. Those were the same specs that got me confused in the first place. I purchased these subs thinking I could go that sized enclosure for the two 15s & sound great. When I got the subs the manual said an entirely different thing. I also saw the same specs I saw on the manual somewhere on the website so they have two different specs on the site for that sub. Another thing is that the versions of the subs may be different. The safest thing I figured was to go with what came with the sub as a guide. 3.2 compact, 4.0 ideal. Will expand later.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are welcome. Didn’t think of if the xxx specs on their website could have been a previous model. I never knew their was different models. I’m guessing their isn't. It’s probably different specs on the website in comparison to the owners manual that came with that subwoofer. I’ve seen that before. Even though the t/s parameters tell me that subwoofer would do better in a 3.3-3.5 cube enclosure, fugh it. I guess you believe manufacture recommendations over actual calculations and are trying your best to find a way to increase your audible output. So I understand. No worries. Think about it though, even though you don’t know how to calculate t/s parameters, I know you have common sense, how is it possible for a subwoofer that recommends 2.7 cubes to do well in a 4 cube enclosure that’s 35% bigger? Even though you have a sheet of paper that says so, means nothing compared to actual t/s parameters calculations. Numbers don’t lie. So how is it possible that them online recommendations are so different is size compared to the actual paperwork? So there is obviously an error somewhere. So to rule out an error like this calls for calculating. And I’ve never seen different subwoofer versions, newer or old, that have that big of a spec difference. Especially in enclosure recommendations. But whatever. Try out that enclosure and see if you like it. That enclosure would do well on other 15” subwoofers too. Then if you don’t like it, just buy some different subwoofers. Which is probably the best thing. That what I’d do.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

"if I can achieve a semi-flat response with significant output still possible down to 28 I'd be happy" 

What would be your ideal enclosure recommendation to achieve this bro? Again, not too heavy on the 40/50 etc. I luv my 28-38 Hz & like my higher notes clean/subtle. Stabbing higher notes are not my thing. Flat-ish down to 28 is a guideline as to what I'm hoping for. Or 28 within 3-4 dB of my peak at least. 

With regard to t/s parameters, the parameters on the screen shots you sent from the website are different than the others available on the same website. There are two different sets. I don't know which is correct. I don't know which recommendation is correct. I understand that working with the specs & calculating what the woofer would perform optimally in is ideal, but which t/s parameters are you going on? 

Thanks again. Apologies for spaced out responses, things have been a little hectic. 

Plotted the other set of t/s parameters into WinISD for comparison & it was a completely different response. The smaller enclosures did look more reasonable but to get the relationship between the frequencies that I believe I want, I ended up liking 7 ft^3 net, 100 in^2 port area tuned to 28 Hz.

It's showing a 2 dB increase at 28 Hz & a 1 db increase at 30 Hz with a 0.5 dB to 1 dB drop in the peak from around 39 Hz go up. I know it's not exact but it's giving me a rough idea at least.

Using the smaller sizes you suggested, to get a flat-ish response which also gave me a decent increase in the 28-30 Hz wasn't possible. At 8 ft^3, even 28 Hz was looking a bit peaky. From the many combinations I tried, this one seems like a good go. 

Thoughts on the 7 ft^3 net, 100 in^2 port area, 28 Hz tuning? 

• 2 months later...

Still doing research & hoping to do something soon. Aiming for 8 ft^3 net. Tuning at either 28 or 29. Trying to decide between 112 & 120 in^2 port area for the least. Subs forward, port up.

Archived