Sonic Electronix

Okay I have a Skar Audio ZVX 18" subwoofer 1800 watt rms powered by a Skar audio RP 2000.1 2000 watt rms. I set my gain with a multimeter using ohms law. To get the right volts(42.4) I had to drive my gain up all the way almost. I know this can't be good for the amp and it doesn't seem right. Should this be correct? My sub is wired down to 1 ohm 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the higher the voltage coming from the head unit the less you will have to turn the amp gain up to match.... My Kenwood exceleon has 5v outout, i set my gain the same way as you, and the gain is barely at a quarter of the way up. Even a 1 volt increase in gain and my clip light starts to flash. Which makes me think this method is pretty good for setting gains.

Do you have a clip light on that amp? If so, does the light come on? If not you are likely good. 

Another option is getting the DD1 and setting it with that, but thats not exactly a cheap method. Locally someone sold one yesterday for $50 dollars... I was the 2nd person in line :( 

Singer 250amp Alt, Singer PCM bypass harness

Titan8 Lithium Underhood safe BCI PWR-S5

Big 3 W/ dual runs of power/ground. All 1/0awg OFC

SounDigital EVO 5K amp, Two 15" Fi SSD subs

Next Level Fabrication @ 7 cubes net, tuned to 32HZ 

Your head unit might be sending off a weak rca signal. That’s what I’m thinking it is. So having to turn the amps gain almost all the way up happens sometimes. You can hear distortion if you know what to listen for. Watch this. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

BUT INSTEAD OF TURNING THE VOLUME 3/4 OF THE WAY UP LIKE HE SAYS, TURN IT IP TO THE HIGHEST VOLUME YOU LISTEN TO TO TUNE YOUR AMP. YOU WILL HEAR KIND OF A HUM ALONG WITH THE BASS NOTE ONCE DISTORTION IS PRESENT. 

Your rca signal is weak. Be it the head units pre outs or the rca cable itself or maybe the amps rca inputs are loose somewhere. Because the head unit is suppose to produce 5v pre outs. That’s why he asked you what type of head unit because you might of had a head unit that sent off like a 2.5v signal which you would have to turn the amp gain up more if the signal was weaker. 

45 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

BUT INSTEAD OF TURNING THE VOLUME 3/4 OF THE WAY UP LIKE HE SAYS, TURN IT IP TO THE HIGHEST VOLUME YOU LISTEN TO TO TUNE YOUR AMP. YOU WILL HEAR KIND OF A HUM ALONG WITH THE BASS NOTE ONCE DISTORTION IS PRESENT. 

Yes I've watched that before and I try setting it by ear and I just either set it too high where it'll clip my sub or too low where I'm not getting enough bass

1 hour ago, Backwoods said:

I believe the higher the voltage coming from the head unit the less you will have to turn the amp gain up to match.... My Kenwood exceleon has 5v outout, i set my gain the same way as you, and the gain is barely at a quarter of the way up. Even a 1 volt increase in gain and my clip light starts to flash. Which makes me think this method is pretty good for setting gains.

Do you have a clip light on that amp? If so, does the light come on? If not you are likely good. 

Another option is getting the DD1 and setting it with that, but thats not exactly a cheap method. Locally someone sold one yesterday for $50 dollars... I was the 2nd person in line :( 

I do not have a clip light on mine unfortunately. It'd be nice to have though. I would love to have a dd1 tho I'm looking into getting one

Archived