I just went and read some of the instructions for your LOC. Turns out it isn’t a LOC at all really. Your headunit doesn’t have an output at all really. All it does is send a message to the amp and tells it what to do. That’s where the PAC AmpPRO intercepts the message and turn it into audio. There is no conversion from high to low level. Still doesn’t explain why you didn’t get a signal but very much explains why you can turn the head unit up to max with no distortion. 

And then your amp...lots of settings in side that thing.

Start playing around in the amp’s settings (with no speakers hooked up) until you get a signal on the DD-1 to see what is going on. You have so many controls on the amp I’m guess one of those is the issue. It doesn’t appear the the PAC device has any output adjustments except to shut off the factory EQ.

Edited by MrSkippyJ

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I attached a photo of the PAC program what it looks like when I plug my computer into the amp pro. i have turned the minimum volume all the way down and the EQ disabled. 

I would think that i would be able to plug my DD1 into one of the 6 RCA'S coming from the AmpPRO and i would at least be able to detect a signal there before the Audio Control amp. but it sure doesn't. it seems like the DD1 wont do anything after the AmpPro for some reason. 

I am pretty familiar with the Audio Control DSP software. it is very simple and user friendly. i have watched the 5 Star audio video on it, and i have watched the Audio Control Zoom/facebook live meeting that they had that they spent an hour discussing and explaining the program. so i feel like i know it pretty well and i have played around with it quite alot because i have had this set up since january. i just have not pushed it hard to the limits because i am not confident in the gain structure. i would have taken it to a installer to have it set up more properly but i had just moved and i do not trust anyone here. they wouldnt do it any justice. i walk into the store and they either dont sell or hardly know the amp. 

I can not think of any settings in the amp that would be causing the DD1 to not work properly on the outputs of the amp.

Can you think of anyone that i could talk to or anything? next week i am going to give audio control a call and see if i can ask them some things. i have the additional bluetooth port for the amp and i can stream music directly into it so i am going to try and get the input sensitivity set correctly on the bluetooth so i know roughly what it sounds like at full output so i can compare to when playing through the car head unit. 

Thank you by the way for looking into this for me, i know its way out of your way. and i understand if this is getting to complicated. i am looking into finding some installers that i would trust in the states near by that i could take it. i just need somone that sells PAC and AC that seem like they know what they are doing. 

AMP Pro 4.tiff

I am not sure if you have heard of Dean from 5 star audio in florida, they were doing a live stream video on youtube today so i hopped on and asked if they have ever had issues using a DD1 with a vehicle using ampPRO4. and he actually responded luckly and he said that they have never had any issues with it. that it should work just fine. He also said that the amp pro does not produce distortion. so if my dd1 was not detecting distrortion between the HU and the factory amp before the amp pro. and no distortion after the amp pro then i wonder what the d 6.1200 is activating at 52? it should be good all the way to max?

I am super unfamiliar with that amp, if I were to guess though it would be something on the input side of the adjustments. That being said I have looked at the manual for about 5 minutes total. Speaking with Audiocontrol could help for sure. 

Is 52 the max with the gain all the way down?

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Yes If I play a 40hz -0db tone with amp gains all the way down it detects clipping at 52. Still strange that the DD1 won’t even recognize a signal when plugged into the RCA before the amp or on the speaker outs of the amp. I am going to try re testing on the outputs of the amp and I am going to try touching a negative just to see if polarity has been flipped some how. Little faith in that. But it’s worth a try 

@William94, Dude, you are making this WAY MORE than it actually is. This is what the urban people call “doing too much” lol! But yeah, You DON’T have to test an loc for distortion. You only have to test the device connected to the loc to find a clipping point, if there is one, then at that point, test the device the loc is connected to, to match that signal the loc is sending to the device the loc is connected to. That’s how you find a clean signal in that situation. The loc is just there to make the signal. Finding a point to tune at and matching that signal is how you distinguish clean signal from distortion. 

Edited by 1point21gigawatts

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Well thanks guys. I won’t wast y’all a time any more. I’ve used the dd1 to set up 2 F150s and a chevelle. And it’s worked just fine and it didn’t even take 15 minutes for each. I don’t understand why it won’t work after the amp pro on this vehicle. I can’t even use it to set the output of my amp regardless of what volume on the head unit. It won’t detect a signal after the amp pro. I guess I am doing to much because the dd1 sure isn’t doing anything for this vehicle. So it’s fine. I’m not going to blame the device cause that seems to get everyone’s panties in a wad. So I will just find a shop with a oscope and be on about my way. I paid to much money for all this audio equipment in this car to just guess and hope that it’s all set up correctly. 

again thank you guys both for your knowledge and advice 

7 minutes ago, William94 said:

Well thanks guys. I won’t wast y’all a time any more. I’ve used the dd1 to set up 2 F150s and a chevelle. And it’s worked just fine and it didn’t even take 15 minutes for each. I don’t understand why it won’t work after the amp pro on this vehicle. I can’t even use it to set the output of my amp regardless of what volume on the head unit. It won’t detect a signal after the amp pro. I guess I am doing to much because the dd1 sure isn’t doing anything for this vehicle. So it’s fine. I’m not going to blame the device cause that seems to get everyone’s panties in a wad. So I will just find a shop with a oscope and be on about my way. I paid to much money for all this audio equipment in this car to just guess and hope that it’s all set up correctly. 

again thank you guys both for your knowledge and advice 

My bad. I didn’t mean it in a bad way. You are not wasting anybody’s time. I feel bad now. I just don’t understand why you can’t just turn your head unit all the way up first and then play a 40hz test tone and finally set that amp’e gain accordingly. Explain to me so I can understand what you are doing and what’s happening after the loc and then I can understand and further assess the situation and then help. 

Edited by 1point21gigawatts

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

No need to feel bad. If you don’t want to deal with this I really understand and it’s not going to hurt my feelings. I would probably be annoyed at all this also. 

I didn’t think this was going to be this difficult when I started this project. I did a lot of research before and it seemed doable and everything went fine. I just have a lot of hissing and it has to be gain related. 

But I’ll try and explain this as simply as possible cause it’s somewhat confusing. 

My head unit sends signal to my factory amp. But it is not a traditional speaker level signal. It’s just a fixed level signal. (I have verified this with PAC audio technician)

My factory amp for the factory system does all the magic and amps the sound and turns it into audio blah blah blah. Not important because I am obviously going aftermarket. But I can’t remove the factory amp because then my head unit doesn’t work at all.  The people at PAC know this and design the amp pro4 to work this way to retain all the factory head unit because it’s to fancy. 

the PAC Audio amp pro4 (like a line output converter....but it’s not at all) it takes that fixed level signal and processes it digitally and sends out RCA low level signal (just like an aftermarket radio would). I talked to a tech and he said that on the models he has used an oscope on there has not been any clipping at all. Dean from 5star audio agrees. 

I have used the DD1 to test the signal coming from head unit to the amp pro. It worked just fine. No distortion all the way to max. 

awesome. So everyone is telling me that my head unit is good all the way to max. 

here comes the problems. After the amp pro my DD1 stops working. It won’t detect a signal any more.  (dean says that it should work just fine) It doesn’t work plugged into RCA before my aftermarket amp. It doesn’t work on the speaker outs of my amp with gains all the way down or up or anywhere in between. 

next problem. My amp comes with a input clipping detector. And it comes on at 53 with gains down. It doesn’t really matter where my gains are because it just tests the input before it gets amplified. I am not a expert but I feel like audio control Is a decent brand and I trust their stuff also. 

I would love to just compare the clipping light on the audio control vs the DD1 just to see if things are the same or different. (I would trust the DD1 more because that is it’s one and only job) but it’s not working so I don’t know what to do. 10 volume difference possibly is a big difference when setting gain I feel.  That’s why I have come to the decision I am going to just find an oscope and settle things that way.  

FB6F60AC-9D2A-45D7-B6BD-B812CDEF19E6.jpeg