• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a good foundation started for my build it's time to head out to Brad's shop and let him get started on everything wood. Meeting Brad came at a perfect time. Carpenter by trade and SPL enthusiast at heart, it was a perfect match for what I lacked experience in. He just so happened to be local also which allowed me to be out there everyday working hand and hand with him having a say in every step of the way. We started out with a solid floor foundation for the boxes to be mounted onto. I went with 3/4" birch for everything wood related. He made a nice profile cutout that conformed to my interior nicely. Very tight fit. Then made a circular cutout to give access to my fuel pump in the event that it ever needed to be serviced down the line. From there we bolted her straight down to the frame and filled the spare tire area underneath full of loctite expanding foam.

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

Forgot to mention my trip to Menard's for wood and supplies. 4 sheets of birch, wood glue, screws, expanding foam, spray adhesive and a few other things... $375. Toward the end of this log I will post a list of all expenses for this build as I think it's something a lot of bassheads overlook when they see/ hear their first LOUD system and say "I want that!" lol. I thought I was out of the water after purchasing several thousands of dollars equipment for the build. Little did I know how much the build process it's self would cost for materials etc. It definitely isn't cheap to get loud.

IMG_0633.JPG

Next, Brad moved onto the boxes. I came to him with some pretty unorthodox requests... I wanted to be able to remove the box down the line without having to disassemble the box itself. Due to the size and shape of the vehicle there wasn't a design in the world that would allow me to have a box made for 6 12's aeroported that would be able to be put in and out of the vehicle without complete disassembly. So what I decided was to have him make was 3 separate, basic, rectangular identical boxes that could be placed into the hatchback one at a time. Then bolted together and bolted to the frame of the car. I did not want a full wall (I'm old fashion and like to look over my shoulder when switching lanes) even though it is a technical wall. I like to call it an illegal no wall😂. I was slightly limited on depth, and quite limited on width being we only had 39" for three 11 3/8" cutouts. He was able to make the design work without cutting corners on net volume or port volume. He also added a few features to give a better look then just a simple rectangular box. A 20 degree angle on the driver wall facing the front which made the face of the wall and the seats run parallel along with a 3" 45 degree panel on the top back corner to hold all my bolt terminals. Nothing special but I was impressed compared to the shape/ design that I had initially approached him with. My main priority is demos and bandwidth first and foremost. I enjoy metering also but short of building a forth order I had to pick one or the other. I'm a sucker for a mean demos and nasty hair tricks. But damn... who doesn't want a 160??!! Time to get started!

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

Meanwhile I got started on the head unit, everything 4 channel related, all my mids and highs and my doors. Ran all new wiring, wasn't about to use factory wiring for anything... Probably the toughest part of this was snaking those damn wires threw the door jam gasket lol. After trying for about a half hour I lubed her up with some silicone lubricate spray and she slid right threw no issues😂

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0586.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

These were the first doors I've ever done. Nothing too spectacular but better then paying someone else to do it and I was pretty happy with how they turned out. Used nuts and bolts to hold down all the speakers in place, didn't want anything to come undone or cause a bunch of rattling. The positive terminal on my tweeters (the small wire coming out of the crossover) is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. I've already bumped, broke and had to replace the speaker because of that dinky wire being so fragile and pain in ass to attach a wire boot or terminal connector to. Ended up soldering to a connector after it came unhooked the second time.

IMG_0556.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

For my enclosures we tuned at a nasty 29hz. I prioritized demos over SPL but was hoping for both. Each box was 5.22 net, 6.42 gross and .65 ft3 port volume. Every top, side, bottom etc was mocked together and sanded even for 3 identical enclosures. No mismatches, overlaps or size differences in all three enclosures. Fits together and looks like one box but allows me to pull and move/ sell them if needed to upgrade to my up and coming (12) 12s build in a 4th order.

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0538 (3).JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

IMG_0631.JPG

Meanwhile I installed a couple other things. 2 clip indicators and a voltmeter running from my lithium bank in the back ran up into and mounted on speedometer display. Also I ran a couple toggle switches for my amp fans and some LEDs in the back hatch area.

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_1037.JPG

Archived