Went ahead and pulled the enclosures back out and stained them. I used a water based stain to prevent that temporary odor that usually comes from regular oil based stain. Then I finished my ports and reinstalled those. After that I moved on and installed my color coordinated voice coil bolt terminals and installed my speakers. The 25' of 8 awg wire wasn't enough for the inside of the box as well as the outside so I had to order another 25' and used temporary 12 awg on the outside for now. Learned a lesson about always leaving alittle extra wire to attach to your speakers to that away doing maintenance or pulling them isn't such a hassle. Went back a month later and re wired inside with longer 8 awg for convenience since I basically cut them right down to minimum length the first time😂 Thee ol greenhorn strikes again haha

IMG_E0720.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG

IMG_1254.JPG

IMG_1255.JPG

IMG_1256.JPG

IMG_1252.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

IMG_1268.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

So now that we got a lot of the time consuming things out of the way we moved onto my beauty panel and my electrical. Brad really wanted me to take the beauty panel all the way up to the roof and wall it completely off but I was hell bent on leaving a space for me to see out my back window and staying in no wall class if I did decide to compete. Looking back on things today I wish I would have walled it into a big rounded forward facing kerf going into the roof. But I'm still definitely happy with how things turned out this way. I still might do that down the line though. Everything turned out great and I got to work hand and hand with Brad on the electrical to learn a lot of really good stuff. There's been a lot of things I've learned during this build to where I wont have to have someone else do for me next time. I'm definitely a hands on guy... 

IMG_0669.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1257.JPG

IMG_1258.JPG

IMG_1259.JPG

IMG_1260.JPG

IMG_1261.JPG

IMG_0921.JPG

So this is about the time that we got all the trim and paneling back on, got the headliner in and put the passenger seat back in. I can't begin to explain to you the feeling of turning it on for the first time... Initially it was just a sigh of relief seeing all of my connections are right. Then it was on to tuning. So this is about the time I started slacking on taking pictures. After a long week of hot sweaty work sun up to sun down I was ready to start doing some testing, logging some data and more testing. The period of time on the build has been roughly 6 or 7 days up until this point of turning it on and tuning. I started with setting my head unit max RCA voltage for my md8k to around 1.851 volts and left my 4 channel RCA inputs at 1.316 volts with the gains set half way. So I gain matched my 8ks, did a sweep and clamped a couple tones. Wired at .67 here's what she rose to.

25hz rising to 1.82 ohms

28hz rising to 1.48 ohms

29hz rising to 1.41 ohms

30hz rising to 1.47 ohms

32 hz rising to 1.23 ohms

I set the gains again alittle bit higher and clamped 3393 watts at 29hz rising from .67ohms to 1.47ohms on 1 of the 2 amps. That comes out to be alittle over 1100 watts a speaker. My plan is to leave her here for about 3 weeks like Shane at Soundqubed had told me to do so they can break in alittle bit before inching the gains up and giving them some hefty excursion on the daily. I'm hoping to get 6-7k from each amp so we'll see. Had the meter on and got a few readouts, all were around 150. That was with the hatch and both doors open while we were clamping. So I decided to pull her forward and give myself my first demo... Turned the music. Sounded deep, crisp and loud. I was pretty satisfied. I couldn't keep it on one song for more then a minute I just wanted to hear the entire bandwidth I was like a kid in the candy store. About 10 minutes in as Brad and I sat in the car listening to music, meter on, all doors closed and both windows down watching the peaks and resetting over and over again something happened...

IMG_0949.JPG

IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_0768.PNG

IMG_1282.PNG

IMG_1295.PNG

IMG_1265.JPG

The windshield freakin went!!! It wasn't even an enjoyable experience. We just looked at each other, he got super excited and congratulated me while I got dumb founded, shocked and basically pretty upset about it... I looked down at the meter, which was on peak hold and had freshly been reset within a couple seconds of it going. It read 153.89 dB at 29hz. Both Brad and the SSA meter as my witness otherwise I don't think anyone out there would possibly believe me that I sent my windshield at a measly 153 dB. It didn't take long to realize there wasn't going to be no full tilt until mini monster got herself a new windshield. Anything under 35hz would flex the glass like 2-3" and spit tiny pieces of glass everywhere. I tried to have a sense of humor about it after words but later that night I just kept thinking what choices do I have? How am I going to stop this from happening again after I get a new windshield so I can enjoy what I worked so hard for. Went to bed that first night after the completion of my system very discouraged... Upon pulling the headliner down the following day I found that the windshield wasn't the only thing that had broken. The steel had started ripping right above the rear view mirror where it buts up to the windshield... 10 minutes on music at low power... What the hell have I gotten myself into???

IMG_0897.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1283.PNG

I just noticed you have a pole brace in your vehicle. That why I deleted that suggestion. I’m not trying to talk junk, I just want to help because I know subwoofer enclosures well. The first time I commented on this post I thought your ports were too close to the roof where they couldn’t breathe, but I also meant that your ports were too close to the roof where it would resonate up and down rapidly before reaching the A pillar which flexes but minimizes an spl score. The effect you were striving for when placing the ports was correct, but the placement to achieve the effect wasn’t ideal. Roofs aren’t good for that effect. Doors, side walls, and rear hatches are ideal for that. But I didn’t say anything because I didn’t wanna appear like I was bashing you or your build because I came off like a dick to start with and didn’t wanna come off like a dick again after I kind of made amends after I was wrong about the distance between the roof and the ports. I knew it would make me look like a douche and you wouldn’t of believed me and you would of disliked me more. So I said fugh it and was just gonna wait until you finished and posted info. Your port placement is why your window broke at that low of spl reading. Your gonna keep flexing a lot because of port placement and that flexing affects your score and breaks your window. I think you should build a new enclosure with a slot port above the subwoofers. But you would have to build that enclosure in the vehicle and it wouldn’t slide out. You would have to disassemble it to remove it if you ever wanted to change your subwoofer setup. This port placement would minimize unwanted flex and increase output and your spl score. But even the way it is now, it is a good build and I like it. But watch the window flex and monitor the frequencies try to avoid breaking windows now that you know your breaking point.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Archived