At the time of the window breaking, no, I didn't have a stripper pole. Barley knew what they were used for in car audio or even seen one around. I messaged Milenko the next day and he gave me 3 people to talk to and get advice from who had been threw what happened to me many times. After talking with them they all suggested a stripper pole and a couple other ideas. That 's when I decided to jump right in balls to the wall on that brace. I started it 4 days after cracking my window and finished it the following day. Being that I'm dragging my feet on doing this build log I'm trying to backtrack and write it out in chronological order and was having a hard time finding pics with the cracked windshield and no stripper pole haha. I appreciate your original suggestion from last night that's what I was looking for. Just to see if someone would mention something I hadn't heard yet and simply just start some conversation. I like it when people chime in and ask questions, say what they would have done, give suggestions, shoot the breeze etc.. I have to keep making continual progress with this because I got some big plans for car audio in my future. I got to learn from others and keep the trial and error to a minimum ( I've made some silly mistakes over the past couple months nothing to big tho). You didn't come off like a dick and I don't dislike you. Your a staple in the SMD forums and for good reason I'm sure. There is horrible depth perception for the dimensions we were talking about in the photos we were analyzing last month. I agree about the roof though. I genuinely don't think the windshield broke purely because of SPL. I think the majority of it was because of roof flex. You should of seen the top of my windshield and the forward portion of my roof. I noticed right off the bat there was monster flex right where the two met. Within the time that the window broke it had also dug up about 7" of the seal on my windshield. Ya live and learn though. I got some really good pictures for building the stripper pole I'll post those next. BTW the build is done, I'm already moved on and making changes to tackle weak points, increase scores, etc. If anyone has any questions about the build where it's at currently feel free to ask! Otherwise I'll just keep pecking away at trying to update the log with my progress, mistakes and pictures in order as I get time.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, markcrnll said:

At the time of the window breaking, no, I didn't have a stripper pole. Barley knew what they were used for in car audio or even seen one around. I messaged Milenko the next day and he gave me 3 people to talk to and get advice from who had been threw what happened to me many times. After talking with them they all suggested a stripper pole and a couple other ideas. That 's when I decided to jump right in balls to the wall on that brace. I started it 4 days after cracking my window and finished it the following day. Being that I'm dragging my feet on doing this build log I'm trying to backtrack and write it out in chronological order and was having a hard time finding pics with the cracked windshield and no stripper pole haha. I appreciate your original suggestion from last night that's what I was looking for. Just to see if someone would mention something I hadn't heard yet and simply just start some conversation. I like it when people chime in and ask questions, say what they would have done, give suggestions, shoot the breeze etc.. I have to keep making continual progress with this because I got some big plans for car audio in my future. I got to learn from others and keep the trial and error to a minimum ( I've made some silly mistakes over the past couple months nothing to big tho). You didn't come off like a dick and I don't dislike you. Your a staple in the SMD forums and for good reason I'm sure. There is horrible depth perception for the dimensions we were talking about in the photos we were analyzing last month. I agree about the roof though. I genuinely don't think the windshield broke purely because of SPL. I think the majority of it was because of roof flex. You should of seen the top of my windshield and the forward portion of my roof. I noticed right off the bat there was monster flex right where the two met. Within the time that the window broke it had also dug up about 7" of the seal on my windshield. Ya live and learn though. I got some really good pictures for building the stripper pole I'll post those next. BTW the build is done, I'm already moved on and making changes to tackle weak points, increase scores, etc. If anyone has any questions about the build where it's at currently feel free to ask! Otherwise I'll just keep pecking away at trying to update the log with my progress, mistakes and pictures in order as I get time.

When my windshield broke a few weeks ago it was at 147.75 @ 44 hz. Mine broke at the A Pillar where the A Pillar meets the 1/4 panel framing (About 8 up from the bottom of the windshield. My guess is it's because the 2 different parts of the frame have different rigidity at that point.

My port is rear facing and 12 inch from the hatch so my loading is a bit different than yours. I have quite a bit of flex at the roof/windshield junction but where I noticed the most flex was where my windshield broke. I'm going to have to deaden that area significantly. 

There is a guy  local to me who has an Echo that's hitting 154's on one15 inch off a Taramp (Not sure if it's a 15k or 20k). He has a stripper pole and has deadened everything and broke his windshield at similar volumes as you have (Not sure the frequency though). I think we will have a tough time keeping our cars from falling apart in general :p

On 9/8/2020 at 11:23 AM, pnutz37 said:

When my windshield broke a few weeks ago it was at 147.75 @ 44 hz. Mine broke at the A Pillar where the A Pillar meets the 1/4 panel framing (About 8 up from the bottom of the windshield. My guess is it's because the 2 different parts of the frame have different rigidity at that point.

My port is rear facing and 12 inch from the hatch so my loading is a bit different than yours. I have quite a bit of flex at the roof/windshield junction but where I noticed the most flex was where my windshield broke. I'm going to have to deaden that area significantly. 

There is a guy  local to me who has an Echo that's hitting 154's on one15 inch off a Taramp (Not sure if it's a 15k or 20k). He has a stripper pole and has deadened everything and broke his windshield at similar volumes as you have (Not sure the frequency though). I think we will have a tough time keeping our cars from falling apart in general :p

Being that we have the same car, that's very interesting how much of a difference in where our windows broke between our cars due to..., most likely the difference in port direction. At the end of the day I think the weak point is the super thin steel on the body that causes this excessive flexing in the older model Toyota Yaris' like ours. When I was welding my steel lithium box into the wheel well I could barely weld on it because it was so paper thin the steel kept trying to melt away... I swear most of the body steel on our cars are only 1/32" thick... It's funny you say that about the windshield, about it flexing more at the bottom ( I think I understood you right there?). After I got the stripper pole in, and got my window replaced my flex went from all on the roof and at the top of the windshield and none at the bottom of the windshield, to a dead solid roof and top of windshield and about 2" of flex at the bottom of the windshield. I ended up foaming a small portion under the hood about the size of a baseball. Basically reinforced the middle windshield brace and that completely took care of that. Now I can do 27hz at 155s and it just barely vibrates. After doing that it also brought my peak down from 39hz to 37hz.

You did understand me correctly about the windshield flex. Don't get me wrong there is lots of flex at the roof/windshield location but I think that gets transferred down the windshield to where there is more flex towards the bottom. 

I'm going to remove the A-Pillar trim to see what I have going on and either reinforce or deaden what I can. The next step would be a stripper pole but i'm not to keen on doing that at the moment. I think I will need to do it in order to gain db's.

I'll have to see how testing goes with the new windshield and run it at max volume. I'm still running my subwoofer volume from my DSP at -10db for the tests (my dsp goes from -40db to 0db). Depending on the temperature my frequencies fluctuate up or down a few hz. When I broke the windshield it was at 44hz @147.75 db. My current peak is 147.8 db at 36hz. I'm probably going to push it more in the next week or so to see what my true max would be. I've been running sweeps most of the time but I may try to do a bunch of burp tests to see if that changes anything. 

15 hours ago, pnutz37 said:

You did understand me correctly about the windshield flex. Don't get me wrong there is lots of flex at the roof/windshield location but I think that gets transferred down the windshield to where there is more flex towards the bottom. 

I'm going to remove the A-Pillar trim to see what I have going on and either reinforce or deaden what I can. The next step would be a stripper pole but i'm not to keen on doing that at the moment. I think I will need to do it in order to gain db's.

I'll have to see how testing goes with the new windshield and run it at max volume. I'm still running my subwoofer volume from my DSP at -10db for the tests (my dsp goes from -40db to 0db). Depending on the temperature my frequencies fluctuate up or down a few hz. When I broke the windshield it was at 44hz @147.75 db. My current peak is 147.8 db at 36hz. I'm probably going to push it more in the next week or so to see what my true max would be. I've been running sweeps most of the time but I may try to do a bunch of burp tests to see if that changes anything. 

I didn't want to put one in either but here we are😏

• 7 months later...

It's going to be a good summer for bass! Been super busy started up school again last year, been working a lot and running a nursery so I haven't been able to update much. Finished out the season last year with a 156.91 on the glass door open and a 157.52 in the kick. My peak went from 39hz before I broke the glass and added the pole and other re enforcements to 34hz. 

Over the winter I pulled my equipment and sold my battery to buy a different lithium chemistry. Never doing Lifepo4 again... Also decided to switch from (2) MD8k to (2) MD12k, Lifepo4 to EH5, added a DSP, switched over to a 3 way front stage on (2) MD3ks and my old 800x4, smaller overdrive pulley for alternator to address my idle output, new aftermarket shocks, airbags, sealed off my hatch area for a legitmate wall, a few layers of birch on the ceiling and over the next few weeks I am fiberglassing that puppy head to toe... Floor contoured into the walls into the box into the ceiling... Then finished with a beautiful gelcoat. Fiberglass speaker pods, fiberglass door panels and considering dash but still up in the air about that one. ETA 3-4 weeks MAX.

IMG_1073.JPG

IMG_0971.PNG

Archived