Sonic Electronix

The other day my amp got hot and turned off as I turned up the volume & it blew out my 100a in-line fuse. I checked all the wires my battery and alternator they all marked good voltage. I have good quality JL audio wires. My amp is 1000/1 JL audio with 4awg and 0awg connected to main battery and ground is 0awg. Could it be that I need more ventilation or possibly a bigger fuse? Car audio place told me to just wait a week to break it in & not turn it up too loud. Hope it’s not problems with my amp I need some advice 

62313692-05D8-455C-8FA9-A6B61FD2D67E.jpeg

96A4FB90-60EC-40E8-A3BA-0EF79689B645.jpeg

38A68C4D-F0D7-4D68-9CE8-E2FF267E277E.jpeg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don’t mean to be a dick but first thing that came in my head with your issue is the words JL. I’d start there if shitty JL Says 500rms it means that and at 501 you blow a fuse or sub. JL sucks that’s Y there’s no JL builds here .  My guess is you dropped below rated voltage so like 13-12.5 volts and  that shit amp didn’t know what to do so either beef up your electrical or buy some good shit , it’s advertised all over this site. The funny part is the car car audio place said just don’t turn it up, like yeah that sounds like a legit answer how about tune  it right and crank it up. I would never EVER go back there , they just like your money.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

What’s your ohm load on your subs at 2ohms you need a 150amp fuse 

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

You have it grounded to a piece of metal welded to the chassis which is a weak ground. That’s why your amp is getting hot. Ground it somewhere else. Ground it to the chassis and use 3 screws. One in the middle and one on each side. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Yeah I mean they are a reputable place but when he said just don’t turn it up too loud for about a week I was like wtf what do you mean. I have my big 3 upgrade with 4awg because 0awg didn’t fit and I have a yellow top, I checked all my voltage and it marked fine. I’m running 3 ohm load on my 13.5 jl audio 

turn Q down it is at the point it is boosting frequencies around 85 Hz. I thought you said the shop was reputable sounds like they don't know JL audio.

sorry been in a funk i don't mean to talk down my bad

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

I used to own that amp pushing a 12" W7 and NEVER had a problem with it. Never overheat, never shut off. I would agree with 1.21, your ground sucks. Also, I know that amp does like the juice. I had to run, I think it was, 180 amp alternator and 2 (I forget which ones) batteries. 

It was so long ago when I owned it, I doubt remember where I had the settings, but if it is in fact boosting frequencies at 85 hz, yeah that's no bueno

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

bigger fuse for sure 120 to 150 amp that amp with your electrical should not have any issues unless you alt sucks.

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

Archived