On 8/5/2020 at 1:13 AM, pnutz37 said:

My preliminary SPL tests so far.

Sine Sweep 30hz to 54 Hz

Windows up. Meter on the windshield/dash 

Approximately 24 degrees Celsius (75.2 F). Elevation 105 m (344 Ft) RH: Unknown

Left reading is lowest possible sub volume at "max" front stage volume.

Right reading is 1/2 sub volume at "max" front stage volume.

Will do some more testing tomorrow with windows up and increased sub volume.

I'll also do similar testing with windows down. Most likely at a different elevation and temperature but will log them in.

Yaris 1st test session.jpeg

Good job dude!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, pnutz37 said:

Sine Sweep 30hz to 54 Hz

Windows down. Meter on the windshield/dash 

Approximately 27 degrees Celsius (80.6F). Elevation 136 m (446 Ft) RH: Unknown

Left reading is lowest possible sub volume at "max" front stage volume.

Right reading is 1/2 sub volume at "max" front stage volume.

6F492720-2E2F-4F85-96E6-CDDC40E2F837.jpeg

Now we're talkin!

To preface. This is a daily driver build. Not going for SPL numbers but I want to know what I can achieve. 

So as I've been testing i've noticed a few things.

I haven't cranked it to 100%. I'm about 75%. Currently 147.63 db at 35 hz.

The warmer the temperatures the SPL numbers seem to go up slightly around 0.50-.75 db.

Windows up or windows down hasn't affected my SPL numbers significantly (0.30--0.50. db).

The weird thing that has happened is that my peak frequency has continually gotten lower. The baseline db and frequency has been fairly consistent. 

As I've turned things up more and more, the peak frequency has gone from 50hz and worked it's way down to 35 hz. The enclosure was designed for around 32-34 hz. 

We have designed the box so that I can add port length as a bolt on feature in the future to lower the tuning to 28-30 hz.

I was hoping to breach the 150db threshold but that seem to be a tough mountain to climb with by current set up. I'm setting the bar to 148-149 as to where I think it will go when I turn it to 100%.

I know if I was to go with a wall or 6th order set up I theoretically could get there.

• 1 month later...

So currently I'm sitting at 148.05 @ 36hz hertz. (Still at 75% sub volume)

The temperature has been a bit cooler. I am making the assumption that as the days get cooler I may be able to get some gains.

I've also noticed that my scores have been going up doing burps vs sine sweeps.

AMM-1 dyno has been ordered so I can provide some real world numbers on these amps (Seeing as i haven't found too many people running them or any non-manufacturer info on them)

IMG_8072.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

So the SMD AMM-1 arrived last week. I didn't get a chance to do som.e preliminary testing until today.

Amps Hertz HP3001 x 2 - Rated at 6000 W RMS at 2 ohms

Windows Sealed.

28hz and 51/52 hz were the most efficient frequencies for my set up 2.4 ohms and 2.8 ohms respectively.

Dyno Power for this set up at 1/2 sub volume on my DSP was 1828 Watts at 51 hz (This was the most power I achieved while going through the frequencies).

From a set up standpoint there could be numerous things I could change to make it more efficient. Run lower ohm subs, change the tuning of the box etc.

I'll be testing more in the next few weeks. I'll also test the dyno where I achieved my peak db reading.

• 2 weeks later...

As it gets colder your port tuning moves. The air is more dense. You're experiencing your port tuning moving lower, I think. It's kind of odd that you're getting more SPL... maybe not given your specific set up/sub choice, but a lot of subwoofers will make purely more SPL (not sql though) with higher port tuning that allows peak SPL in the 40-50Hz range. If the subwoofers were brand new, then you are probably also experiencing the suspension loosening up to some extent although that stage of the subwoofer's life is definitely over if you've been playing them a lot which I would guess you are since, you know, bass.

That's uber close to 150.... lol I bet that's really making you want to push it that little bit more.

Do you have the impedence meter/signal generator? You could use it to find your true port tuning as the weather changes. Maybe you could also test whether it moves when the car is completely open (windows, hatch, etc) verses the entire car closed. I'd be interested in seeing what exactly happens to the box tuning as the temperature changes and when box is in a more open environment versed more closed.

That box looks great btw.

59 minutes ago, CFD said:

As it gets colder your port tuning moves. The air is more dense. You're experiencing your port tuning moving lower, I think. It's kind of odd that you're getting more SPL... maybe not given your specific set up/sub choice, but a lot of subwoofers will make purely more SPL (not sql though) with higher port tuning that allows peak SPL in the 40-50Hz range. If the subwoofers were brand new, then you are probably also experiencing the suspension loosening up to some extent although that stage of the subwoofer's life is definitely over if you've been playing them a lot which I would guess you are since, you know, bass.

That's uber close to 150.... lol I bet that's really making you want to push it that little bit more.

I've definitely noticed the temperature affecting how loud it is on my testing. My car flexes a lot especially at the windshield (no additional bracing yet). The subs are fairly new (less than 6 months old). I don't hammer them all the time. Most of the time I play at 15-25%. I do bass-bys at my friends houses and turn it to half. That gets me to 145-146 db  on music for certain songs. When I do my testing it's pretty quick burts and changing frequencies. 

Archived