Sonic Electronix

1/2 ohm and 1/4 ohm setups ???

I get that as the power increases, and you really start to hammer on a subwoofer, that the impedance rises, so that while a sub(s) might be wired to 1/2 or even 1/4 ohm, by the time it starts to get the shit beat out of it, the impedance rise might have it up to 1 or even more than 1 ohm, which of course is not a problem for most modern, high quality amps.

But my question is, how does the amp not shut off, before one even starts to hammer on the system" ? Like, you turn it on.... haven't even gotten to the volume control yet, the amp sees 1/4 ohm, and just instantly shuts off ? 

I'd just like to know how guys are getting by with this ? And also, what are the pros and cons of such a system ? Could it be used as a daily driver, OR, is this for nothing other than comps ? Like full blast for a few seconds, then shut it down to cool for 10 minutes ?

You'll see stuff run at .5 ohms occasionally in a daily driver, but it's hard on amps. I think Crescendo still offers a .5 ohm warranty on a few of their amps, don't know of any other company that does. Most good amps can handle .5 ohms as long as you've got the electrical to back it up. .25 ohm is a whole different animal imo, and is pretty much only seen in competition burp setups due to the power draw and the heat that it generates. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will come along and fill in the gaps, because that's the extent of what I know.

15 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Some frequencies or quick frequency changes there isn’t any impedance rise. Like it’s really quick. I’ve seen it on music play before on an amm-1. 

Hey Giga, that's interesting that "at least in this video, for this particular setup" the impedance rise was most significant at 49 hz.... which is where a lot of car audio sub woofer setups have the most cabin gain anyway.... or to put it another way, where the setup doesn't need much help. So if your amp was going to be getting a much higher resistance, leading to way less output, I guess that would be the best frequency for this to happen at. It also seems fortunate that by the time it got down really low, the impedance had fallen back off significantly, as that's where one really needs maximum wattage.

Not sure how consistent this is from system to system, but at least in this case, that seemed to work out pretty well.

Edit; An interesting thought just crossed my mind..... I wonder if the cabin gain peak is actually "causing" that increased resistance ???

If anything causes the subwoofers voice coil to move more then the impedance rises higher. This being because the voice coil moving creates a magnet force and the quicker and more so it moves the more electrical current gets sent the opposite way back to the amplifier and it reads it as a load thus raising the impedance. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

I haven't been above 0.5 daily for years, but I've taken the time to measure the impedance through the frequency range to make sure I'm within a tolerable range. Usually been from right below 1ohm and up. Perfect for getting the most out of your system without getting to crazy. Been at 0,25 a couple of times but its basically just for "burps" within the range where you have enough rise, way unstable an a bit risky for your amp on music. 0,5 has been a nice sweet spot all-round. Even for my Taramps  Bass 12k 🔥🔥 Just note every system is different.

Archived