Second Skin Audio

Will a slightly oversize box yield more dB?

Sorry for stupid question.

I have a Fi SSD 15 which is rated for 3-4cuft. If I build closer to 5cuft would it give me any more output? I know oversize ported boxes can be dangerous as it can cause over excursion but I feel like one extra cubic foot won't kill the sub.

9 minutes ago, Jonnyswboy said:

Sorry for stupid question.

I have a Fi SSD 15 which is rated for 3-4cuft. If I build closer to 5cuft would it give me any more output? I know oversize ported boxes can be dangerous as it can cause over excursion but I feel like one extra cubic foot won't kill the sub.

I've read that a lot of box builders will build up to 20% bigger boxes than factory recommendations. After 20%, the law of diminishing returns starts to take effect and you start to lose output. If you up the size of the box by x% though, you also have to add x% to the port volume as well. There are some really knowledgeable box builders on this forum, I'm sure they'd be able to tell you exactly how to build a box for that specific sub. They're really good

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

5 cubes is a little too big. That’s a 25% increase and could cause your subwoofer to lose control and bottom out depending on the rms. Anything around rated rms could cause this. The rms being fed to the subwoofer has to be factored in as well. What kind of amp are you gonna be using? A 25% increase can work if you are only using about half the rated rms. Once you let me know what type of amp you will be using I can tell you adequate increased sizing in net volume and port area and I can tell you how wide the port has to be so you don’t have any port noise whatsoever. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

2 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

5 cubes is a little too big. That’s a 25% increase and could cause your subwoofer to lose control and bottom out depending on the rms. Anything around rated rms could cause this. The rms being fed to the subwoofer has to be factored in as well. What kind of amp are you gonna be using? A 25% increase can work if you are only using about half the rated rms. Once you let me know what type of amp you will be using I can tell you adequate increased sizing in net volume and port area and I can tell you how wide the port has to be so you don’t have any port noise whatsoever. 

......... port noise? 🥴

4 minutes ago, ohruma said:

......... port noise? 🥴

Happens when the port velocity is too high. The more rms and lower the tuning, the quicker the air travels and the wider the port has to be to slow it down so there isn’t any wispy, chuffing or farting noise along with the bass notes because of the velocity being too high because the port is to narrow in reference to the rms and tuning. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Archived