Second Skin Audio

Sundown SA Rev.3 vs. V.2 ???

ohruma

I've been doing a lot of revisions to my system plans... I will be getting a SUV/Truck for a second vehicle and will be saving larger system plans for that. I've gone from a Skar RP.2000.1D to a Skar 1500.1D because its cheaper and actually in stock. I still want to go with SA Series Sundown Subs and was wondering... is the extra $90 [$180 for 2] worth it for the V.2 or the Rev.3? I've never used either. . Down the line the system might get more power and that's where I'm leaning towards the V.2 because they have the extra rated 250RMS over the V.3 which is still conservative. The marketing on the website makes the V.2 seem all the worth it but I wanted personal opinions. There isn't much on the internet as far as one vs the other. 

Im running 2 of the SA series classic 12s currently... Same subs as the Rev3 but with a black motor. Rated at 750rms each. And im using a SFB2000d, 2000 rms amp on the pair. It sounds fantastic.... Yes, they could handle more power than im running, and a 3K would be perfect... But im actually really happy with the output on only 2K.

That being said, If i found a killer deal on a 3K sundown SFB amp i may grab it... But im in no hurry to go bigger.

As far as the V2 versus the rev 3, there are quite a few upgrades with the newer subs, and if you are over powering them, burping at shows for instance, then the upgrades may be useful, but in a daily driver playing music i doubt you would hear a difference in one vs the other if all things were otherwise equal. But if you never plan on going with more than 1000-1500rms per sub, the money saved may be better...

Singer 250amp Alt, Singer PCM bypass harness

Titan8 Lithium Underhood safe BCI PWR-S5

Big 3 W/ dual runs of power/ground. All 1/0awg OFC

SounDigital EVO 5K amp, Two 15" Fi SSD subs

Next Level Fabrication @ 7 cubes net, tuned to 32HZ 

Did y’all know that the rev3 is a v2? There are only 2 version (v) of sa subwoofers, v1 (classic) and v2. The rev3 is the newest revision (rev) of the v2. If you go on sundowns website you will see that there are only 2 versions to pick from unless you get the 8” which they have came out with a v3 on that size. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

18 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Did y’all know that the rev3 is a v2? There are only 2 version (v) of sa subwoofers, v1 (classic) and v2. The rev3 is the newest revision (rev) of the v2. If you go on sundowns website you will see that there are only 2 versions to pick from unless you get the 8” which they have came out with a v3 on that size. 

I've actually looked into that a lot to clear my own confusion being in the market for them currently... SA Series Rev.3 was the last revision of the V.1 which is now being sold as the SA Classic due to popular demand. The V.2 is still on its original first revision if you would even call it that considering nothing has been revised from launch earlier this year.SA Rev.3 and Classic are the same thing [750RMS] and the V.2 is the newer model [1000RMS]

Source:

SA V1 Rev.3 (Classic Pre V.2 Launch)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBpuFYLyYXlsqWdX6mipf

SA Classic (V1 Rev.3 Post V.2 Launch)

sundown_sa_classic_10_12_inch_dual_2_dua

SA V.2 

51vzP-wi7IL.jpg

All in all irrelevant though the question still stands... are the new V.2 subs improvements worth the extra $90? I'm not worried about under-powering or anything there will be revisions to this system to push it harder over time. I wouldn't wanna reach the limits of the Classics and regret not forking over the extra $180 on the set of V.2s 

You are correct, my friend. My brain has farted and I was mistaken. It happens sometimes. I forgot that they made a rev2 and then a rev3 and then the v2. I thought it was backwards for a second until you said something and I thought about it. But I know you could use the v1’s from 2009 when they came out and still put them on 3000rms daily and they would never blow as long as you were sending them a clean unclipped signal. So, any version or revision of the sa subwoofers could handle that amount of rms and never blow as long as the signal was clean.

8 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

You are correct, my friend. My brain has farted and I was mistaken. It happens sometimes. I forgot that they made a rev2 and then a rev3 and then the v2. I thought it was backwards for a second until you said something and I thought about it. But I know you could use the v1’s from 2009 when they came out and still put them on 3000rms daily and they would never blow as long as you were sending them a clean unclipped signal. So, any version or revision of the sa subwoofers could handle that amount of rms and never blow as long as the signal was clean.

I'm leaning really hard towards the V.2 but my only main draws are the looks and 1000rms rating which I know if Sundown says 1000rms its really more in the 1500rms, like you said even OG SA series subwoofers could take whats that... 200% their rating in power? The V.2 also just look beefier in general and of course on paper looks quite a bit better. But like Backwoods said you probably wouldn't notice the difference in terms of daily listening. 

It really seems more of a question of saving money with tried and true or forking over the extra for shiny and new. With Sundown luckily I can't technically lose out either way.

The v2 has a bigger voice coil, stronger motor and better soft parts than the v1 revision 3. So it can handle more. 2 of the v2s can handle a salt-4 or a md5000.1 without any problems. When it comes to underpowering them subwoofers like you plan on doing, they will be NO difference whatsoever between the v1 and the v2 because you would be underpowering either one. That 1500rms Skar amp only puts out about half that amount of rms after impedance rise and voltage drop is factored in. So each of them subwoofers are gonna be seeing about 400 rms a piece. You would only worry about which one of the sa subwoofers to buy if you were planning on using more rms. On that Skar amp, really there isn’t any reason to get more than one sa subwoofer. If you want to get 2 subwoofers on that amp then pick a model below the sa. If you want to get 2 sa subwoofers then pick an amp that puts out more rms. If you want a cheap amp and want to match the subwoofers then get an sfb amp and some sa classics. 

Archived