RCA volume knob for mids & highs?

markcrnll

So the goal here is to put a RCA single volume knob between my receiver and my 4 channel amp. I have a few questions and could also use some advice. I understand this is not normal but it's what I want for my application. Mainly because I really like my head unit receiver but I absolutely HATE the fact that the volume is touchscreen and also I'd just like to have it for convenience. So it appears I have 3 options...

1. Find a 4 channel bass/volume knob with ONE single knob only.
  2. Use dual RCA Y splitters on both sides of a 2 channel bass knob.
  3. Build my own.

So for idea #1, I have searched everywhere online and can't find a 4 channel single knob anywhere. Does anyone know of any and can provide a link?

For idea #2 I had a few questions I've been really curious about. Are the front preouts and rear preouts on a head unit identical signals and only separate for surround control like fade? If I were to use Y spitters to combine both left RCAs together and another splitter to combine both right signals together that away they can hook up to a normal 2 channel bass knob and then use RCA splitters on the other side of the knob to split from 2 channels back to 4 again? I have 8 speakers for my mids and highs and they're basically all front stage so I never use fade. Im also getting a DSP so if I did need to control gain, fade or crossovers it would still be possible. But I didn't want to combine front and back signals if they're not identical signals obviously. Also I wont even consider this idea if I have to sacrifice any of my preout voltage, I like my 4volt signal. For idea #3, I am completely fine and open to building my own. I could just use some help picking out the right potentiometer for my 4 channel application. Is it a 10 gang linear POT? 12 gang linear POT? If anyone could shoot me a link for the right one that would be awesome...

Im leaning toward idea #2 as long as front and rear signals (not left & right) are identical and I'm not sacrificing preout voltage with the use of those splitters. Any help would be appriciated. Please, only educated or experienced help only. Thanks & rock on bass heads!!!

Are you looking for one just for your highs amp? Or something to cut everything? If your looking to turn down everything, the Audio Control Three.2 has a volume control on it that's analog. It's more expensive than just using a single knob though. But maybe that could give you an idea

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Maybe look into a DPST POT, commonly found in guitars to change the wiring (if you decide to build your own.) Basically is a push pull pot that allows two circuits to exist with one pot. It would be a full on little build to make it a clean install, since it only takes bare wires - none come with RCA inputs or anything like that. 

If you investigate this route more Id suggest CTS pots, been used for forever with high quality. 

https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas/online-resources/learn-about-guitar-pickups-and-electronics-and-wiring/wiring-the-cts-dpdt-push-pull-pot.html

Some info for you to digest. 

Theres tons of info on these switches but Ive never seen one wired like how Im possibly thinking. 

If anyone finds a fallacy in this logic let me know, Im still on my first cup of jo this morning lol

Ive been thinking about this more - as I almost want to do the same thing. It seems the only way to buy something that will be 100 turn key ready out of the box is to buy something like a single din or half din eq - like the popular Clarion unit. Have you found any other options ? Id love to hear about any other options if you have found them.

• 1 month later...

So I figured I would update this topic on what I decided to do. Further research indicated that the left and right rca preout signals are different, obviously, but the VAST majority of the time both the front and rear signals are identical. I did verify this specifically after talking to about 3 representatives of the manufacturer of my head unit. It was more common back in the day to have different front and back signals when headunits commonly had only 2 rca preouts; front and back... You would run the subwoofer and/ or larger cone speakers in the rear so the low pass was set a bit lower or something like that. They sounded like they barley knew what they were talking about. Anyways, I'm combining both right preouts and both left preouts with Y splitters right behind the head unit (Y splitters are NOT necessary, you really only need one single set of rca) and running them to bass knob, then out of bass knob into a DSP to distribute my signal and to control rca voltage since I'm running several 4 channel amps. So that's what I decided to go with to put all of my 4 channel amps on 1 single knob. I'll actually be putting my subwoofer and my 4 channels on a CLIPO Slam Panda dual bass knob. That away I'll have one unit with 2 knobs, one for bass and one for mids/ highs... Thank you for the help guys!

Is space an issue in your installation? Since you are going to use more than one knob,  the Audiocontrol Three2 eq mentioned before seems like an ideal solution. It would take your summed rca outs and give you volume control, front/rear fading , and a sub level control. The crossover in the Three2 is better than most head units and it also has a higher voltage output. 

For what it's worth and where I've been....

The last time I saw a potentiometer (pot) with more than two gangs was tearing down a quadraphonic (4 channel) home receiver made somewhere around 1970.   It had a four gang pot serving as a main volume control for all four channels and two stereo linear pots (sliders) for balance controls on the front and rear channels.   

I'm sure multi gang pots are probably in some almost jurrassic test equipment through flea markets, yard sales, or even a search on e-bay however it's hit or miss and I can't say what pots are in what make and model of equipment.

Two gang (Stereo) pots are still in proliferation as new or as NOS (New Old Stock). 

One could make a N gang pot using gears, or pulleys springs, and fairly hefty string to drive the shafts in unison from a single shaft.  Alternatively small stepper motors and couplers even as crude as rubber tubing fitting on the shaft of pot and motor would also work. 

There's all kinds of electronic solutions in things such as voltage controlled amplifiers (think LM 13700) and N gang volume controls one can program using SPI and an Arduino.   Analog Devices, New Japan Radio, and Texas Instruments have a proliferation of choices and design examples.  

Archived