Sundown Audio

Wolfram 2400.1

crownvictoria31

So when wolfram 2400.1 was on pre order for 199.99 i had purchased one. Never got around to installing it as i had other plans with the car with rebuilding my engine and doing other work. Then this pandemic came in and just put everything on hold. Plus i was running my RF 1200d so i had something going on. 

So my RF 1200d was pushing my 3 10"fi subs wired down to 1.3ohms. Never did it over heat nor shut down on me and i was playing it hard none stop. 

I finally get around to install the wolfram. Same location where the RF was. Upgraded the power and ground wire with 1/0 ofc skyhigh. Tripple checked everything. The difference is night and day. Those fi were being under power for sure. Every part of my car vibrates. Theres just one problem.............amp overheats and goes to protect in 20 mins or less. I removed the amp, checked all wires, reinstalled amp, hooked up all wires and gave it another try. Once again, gets really hot and goes into protect. Takes a few minutes and comes back on. 

Wonder if i received a defective amp. To bad that i spent this long to install it and cant really do much with it now. I will reinstall my RF 1200d and see what happens. 

Now what?

2 hours ago, crownvictoria31 said:

So when wolfram 2400.1 was on pre order for 199.99 i had purchased one. Never got around to installing it as i had other plans with the car with rebuilding my engine and doing other work. Then this pandemic came in and just put everything on hold. Plus i was running my RF 1200d so i had something going on. 

So my RF 1200d was pushing my 3 10"fi subs wired down to 1.3ohms. Never did it over heat nor shut down on me and i was playing it hard none stop. 

I finally get around to install the wolfram. Same location where the RF was. Upgraded the power and ground wire with 1/0 ofc skyhigh. Tripple checked everything. The difference is night and day. Those fi were being under power for sure. Every part of my car vibrates. Theres just one problem.............amp overheats and goes to protect in 20 mins or less. I removed the amp, checked all wires, reinstalled amp, hooked up all wires and gave it another try. Once again, gets really hot and goes into protect. Takes a few minutes and comes back on. 

Wonder if i received a defective amp. To bad that i spent this long to install it and cant really do much with it now. I will reinstall my RF 1200d and see what happens. 

Now what?

I love my Wolfram 2400.1. I did overheat it once.... Had gotten a new HU and was getting a little carried away, for too long, on a hot day.....

The really bad thing though, was that (I believe... But can't be sure) it confused my head unit, which then started popping up with a message that said, "Amp Error"... Even after the amp cooled all the way off. Litterally had to pull the HU out and disconnect everything (I have no idea what actually fixed the problem) but hooked it all back up, and all was good.

I'm just extra paranoid about overheating my amp again.

So, I put a thermometer on my amp, plus two 200mm case fans. Only thing is, I have no idea how high the temp can get before it shuts off ???

So, I'm probably kind of a wimp, not letting it go over like 120... When it can probably go to 140...

But whatever. It only takes a couple minutes break to cool way down fast with the fans.

IMG_20200721_113201.jpg

Adding fans surely would be a solution but i have no room for fans where the amp is set up. I mean, i have to check and see my other options. But the fact that my rf 1200d didnt let me down not once and its been kicking hard for over 3 years saids alot. I was thinking about getting a cresendo which have built in fan also as the taramps. Knowing how good my bass now sounds with the extra wattage from the wolfram, will be hard going back down to the rf 1200d. 

Get with Wolfram....they appear to be a solid Company and will probably be help you get the issue tracked down or fix the amp.... 

That said: I don't know what your Electrical is like, Your Voltage could be dropping too low. Especially if your battery sat for a while during the engine rebuild/COVID19 shit. 

The Voltage drop could be making the amp work harder.... Just a thought

07 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 3500 SRW 5.9L Cummins Twin Turbos (fraternal not paternal;) 3x 12" 11sL7 2DVC wired to 1.3ohm on Nesa Encore TS Power TE-5000D amp, Kicker 6.5 Q class Components front and rear doors on Memphis PR4x50 amp, Big 6 upgrade for dual Group 34 Yellow tops. Pioneer DEH8400BH HU. 

2016 F6B Goldwing infinity Kappa 50.9CS(factory amp) front and 60.9CS rear(Taramps DS 160.2 Mini amp)

1 hour ago, shane35fowler said:

Get with Wolfram....they appear to be a solid Company and will probably be help you get the issue tracked down or fix the amp.... 

That said: I don't know what your Electrical is like, Your Voltage could be dropping too low. Especially if your battery sat for a while during the engine rebuild/COVID19 shit. 

The Voltage drop could be making the amp work harder.... Just a thought

If this were the case, wouldnt this had happen with the RF amp? 

My electrical is solid. 4/0 royal excelene welding cable underhood with a xs power 6500 under hood and a 200 amp stock alternator. Car is a 2005 crown victoria lx sport. Trunk has northstar 34/78 battery. Once again, this has never happen only with this new amp.  I will look into the batteries and its charge. I do have a hf1215 intellicharger

15 hours ago, fishchris1 said:

I love my Wolfram 2400.1. I did overheat it once.... Had gotten a new HU and was getting a little carried away, for too long, on a hot day.....

The really bad thing though, was that (I believe... But can't be sure) it confused my head unit, which then started popping up with a message that said, "Amp Error"... Even after the amp cooled all the way off. Litterally had to pull the HU out and disconnect everything (I have no idea what actually fixed the problem) but hooked it all back up, and all was good.

I'm just extra paranoid about overheating my amp again.

So, I put a thermometer on my amp, plus two 200mm case fans. Only thing is, I have no idea how high the temp can get before it shuts off ???

So, I'm probably kind of a wimp, not letting it go over like 120... When it can probably go to 140...

But whatever. It only takes a couple minutes break to cool way down fast with the fans.

IMG_20200721_113201.jpg

Your amps are in a open area and it still overheated? 

8 hours ago, crownvictoria31 said:

Your amps are in a open area and it still overheated? 

Well yes, but not a lot of air gets back there. Then again my RF power 1000 never overheated.... And that Skar 4 ch definitely gets hotter, than the Wolfram, and it never overheats either. 

The Wolfram is a solid amp, but yea, it seems to get hot pretty quick. With the fans, and the AC cranked up, I think I can pretty much play it right to clipping almost indefinitely, without overheating, but I know a lot of guys can't give their amps so much open space, and cooling....

I cant give my amps open spaces. I have a very huge trunk but I use it alot si I need my trunk space. I am running 3 amps. RF r400.4 for front door and rear tweets. RF r600.4 for 4 10" rear deck midrange and my bass amp. They are all behind the sub box tucked away nicely. These RF never over heated nor have they given problems and they are pushed really hard. 

Now I will say this. Dont know if adding a new radio made a difference but at the same time I switched my bass amp, I also installed a double din Pioneer avic 5201NEX. The radio that  I had in my car I bought new in 2008. This is the Pioneer DEHp60000UB. This radio was built good and its still working. But I figure I treat myself to something more modern and I am glad I did.  With that said, When swapping radios, I also swapped bass amp. I do understand that the Wolfram is a powerful amp and can give out more power but the overheating is a bad hit for me. So yesturday I swapped the amps again. Went back to my RF r1200.1D. Let me just say, was I surprised of the difference in power it had. I was blown away in the amount of bass I was getting out of these subs. Boy am I happy I gave it a another try. I actually almost had it sold figuring the wolfram was going to be a keeper. Now, I understand that the subs are under powered and they can take double the power this RF amp is putting out but, for what im using it is more then enough. 

Once again, Wolfram is a very powerful amp as we all know but if you cant add fans or if the amp is not mounted in a open area, then I guess it will overheat. With that said, This amp is now for sale if anyone is interested. 

14 hours ago, crownvictoria31 said:

I cant give my amps open spaces. I have a very huge trunk but I use it alot si I need my trunk space. I am running 3 amps. RF r400.4 for front door and rear tweets. RF r600.4 for 4 10" rear deck midrange and my bass amp. They are all behind the sub box tucked away nicely. These RF never over heated nor have they given problems and they are pushed really hard. 

Now I will say this. Dont know if adding a new radio made a difference but at the same time I switched my bass amp, I also installed a double din Pioneer avic 5201NEX. The radio that  I had in my car I bought new in 2008. This is the Pioneer DEHp60000UB. This radio was built good and its still working. But I figure I treat myself to something more modern and I am glad I did.  With that said, When swapping radios, I also swapped bass amp. I do understand that the Wolfram is a powerful amp and can give out more power but the overheating is a bad hit for me. So yesturday I swapped the amps again. Went back to my RF r1200.1D. Let me just say, was I surprised of the difference in power it had. I was blown away in the amount of bass I was getting out of these subs. Boy am I happy I gave it a another try. I actually almost had it sold figuring the wolfram was going to be a keeper. Now, I understand that the subs are under powered and they can take double the power this RF amp is putting out but, for what im using it is more then enough. 

Once again, Wolfram is a very powerful amp as we all know but if you cant add fans or if the amp is not mounted in a open area, then I guess it will overheat. With that said, This amp is now for sale if anyone is interested. 

How much?

3 alpine type r 12's more to come soon

Archived