Second Skin Audio

SQ sub?

airofu

I know this is really subjective, and even harder as I can't really demo the subs before I buy them in my own box and car.....I currently have a Skar VXF tuned low with about 1500rms and it slams hard, SQ seems great, but of course I don't really have anything to compare it with. Big question is, will I will hear a big difference in SQ/more musical spending $400-500+ on a better quality sub say FI Q, SSA ICON, JL W7, Sundow X, DD Audio etc and hear a big difference? Or is this spend more on better quality parts versus a huge change in sound?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just MPO, but I think even a cheaper subwoofer in an optimum enclosure, will sound far better, that a really expensive subwoofer (considered to be a high SQ model) which is not in the right enclosure.

The 18" Skar ZVX I'm running right now has the best SQ of any of the subs I've ever ran in the last 30 years. Which tells me not only can cheaper subwoofers sound great.... But 18"s can play really tight and clean too 🙂

Doesn't have to be a 10" Audio Frogg..

But then again, maybe a few 10" Audio Froggs would sound even better ? Never owned those, so I can't really be sure.

If you want a really nice SQ woofer go for the W6, Morel Ultimo Titanium, Focal, JBL W12GTi MkII

Car: 2012 Acura TL Elite

Head Unit: JL Audio Fix86

Front Stage : Alpine SPX-17PRO

Rear Stage : Alpine SPR-60C

Component Amp : JL Audio HD 600/4

Sub : 1 12" JL Audio W7

Sub Amp : JL Audio HD 1200

1 hour ago, Daddy_ said:

If you want a really nice SQ woofer go for the W6, Morel Ultimo Titanium, Focal, JBL W12GTi MkII

Even those names sound good 😀 lol

But again, they still need to be in an optimum enclosure.... Or else somebody would feel really dumb if my 18" Skar actually sounded better 😉

Well you've listed great subs as an alternative, but not many are "SQ" oriented. Of the few you listed the x series is not an SQ sub.

The JL is, as well as  the other companies will fit the bill depending on the line you choose  

Not all DD, not all Fi, SSA is Fi.

A real good true alternative to those subs while being a bit cheaper would be image dynamics idq line or IDMAX, depending on the power you have to throw at it. Matt borgardt has recently returned to image dynamics, and he is a top notch builder. Image dynamics is USA have built subs made to be very musical and accurate. Arc audio black series, as well as many Fi are great.

On 7/26/2020 at 10:54 AM, Daddy_ said:

I've read some of the really SQ oriented subs like the Morel Ultimo almost sound too....analytical? great for SQ but might be the type of sound you might not necessarily like after hearing more SPL type subs....wish I could demo to find out myself!

On 7/25/2020 at 7:54 PM, Daddy_ said:

Good list. Also gonna give a shoutout to the audiofrog GB series. It's kinda like the GTI in the sense that SQ is solid but it's doesn't sacrifice much output

7 hours ago, airofu said:

I've read some of the really SQ oriented subs like the Morel Ultimo almost sound too....analytical? great for SQ but might be the type of sound you might not necessarily like after hearing more SPL type subs....wish I could demo to find out myself!

Alot of these subs mentioned won't have the crazy SPL output but they'll be more accurate/tight. Under-rated aspect is alot of these SQ will be fairly loud and accurate in the upper portion (50 to 100/120hz) which is good since most people don't have the door speakers to play loud at those upper end frequencies 

Focal, image dynamics & boston acoustics have been some of my favorite modern woofers for quality in sealed enclosures.

Plenty more of them out there, all 3 above can accurately dig into the 20's without getting sloppy,slow or loosing its composure, due to running them in a sealed enclosure you should have some decent bandwidth if you couple it with a properly installed quality front stage.

they also blend very nicely with your front stage, the spg 555 in 1.4 gross takes that trophy for me.

Archived