Sundown Audio

difference between using recommended enclosure specs and smaller or bigger?

58 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

4EE9DB5B-7F08-4683-9CA8-82284DB9335B.jpeg

hey thanks for that. i appreciate the help.

just a question and then 1 problem:

question:

the physical port length is 31.5 but in the first pic you have the port wall side 1 as 13.75 and side 2 as 14 which adds up to 27.75 which is like 3 inches shorter than the 31.5 then in the 2nd diagram the picture shows port wall 1 as 13.75 and port wall 2 as 14.75..

so little confused there.. what should i be cutting the port wall pieces as 13.75 and 14 or 13.75 and 14.75 and how come they dont add up to 31.5?

problem:

remember my max dimensions are 13.5 tall x 32 x 17

to get to 2.3net i pushed the max dimensions a bit more to 13.5 x 32.25 x 17.5..this will be a test and it MAY get stuck or will be very hard to get in and out i will have to router all outer edges to make sure it gets in..however...

your diagram is 13.5 x 32.75 x 17.5   this will prob not work as the width you made .75 more instead of .25..  box will get stuck. i can manage .25 more but .75 is pushing it esp since im going .5 more on the depth. 

i know it sounds ridiculous but i am really really pushing it with the extra .25 and .5

oh and what is the final tuning and net airspace and outer dimensions of this box?

Edited by akuma4u

And 32.75” was a misprint. I meant to put 32.25”. Lol my bad! All the other cuts measurements I used 32.25” as the width to do my calculations but I accidentally wrote 32.75” instead of 32.25”.

Edited by 1point21gigawatts

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

And you would cut that second port piece as 14”, even though that wall is 14.75” because the way the port elbow connects adds an extra .75” to the length. So the piece should be 14” in length but that wall is 14.75” in length.

Edited by 1point21gigawatts

Thanks for clearing that up. And thanks for the help. I will let u know how this turns out. 

I was under the impression that torres uses the physical port length as the actual length of the wood pieces you cut so when you had physical port length written there as 31.5 but the 2 pieces didnt add up to it, i got confused. 

Edited by akuma4u

13EE388C-BBCC-4CAE-8E24-023A8C834272.jpeg.ff4cca7b8703f72f0c5ff82bbbdfaf2e.jpeg

The length of the port is measured down the center of the port, not on the port walls. Add up the middle length. Since the port is 3” in width, the measurement down the middle would add 1.5” on each port wall. So that’s 3”. 13.75”+14.75”=28.5”+(3”)=31.5”. The tuning is 32.76hz and net volume is 2.29 cubic feet after bracing. 

• 1 year later...

I feel your pain bro. I know it's an older post but I'm exactly like you. I was listening to everyone even Sundown told me to build a box bigger than told my boy to build the box to specs an hour later, we then got an email that said make the box smaller..lol 

I'm over 40 so I've been messing with sounds before you needed any batteries or 370 amp alts. 

I clearly remember these basic rules and forget all that other nonsense. 

If you have a 1500 watt rms sub and you have a 1500 watt true rms amp you build to specs. If you have the same sub but a 1000 rms amp you make the box bigger by.5 if you have a 2000 watt amp you make the box smaller by.3 and stay with whatever HZ you want. 

The biggest problem is stop listening to everyone. You could be listening to a 16 year old with their 1st system or the king of bass. I've done 154s so if you don't have similar equipment and setup I have I'm not listening anyway. 

This is old

Edited by Never Enough Bass

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)