Second Skin Audio

Stereo Integrity HST-15 4th order?

Surfer J

I was wondering if anyone out there has tried building a HST-15 4th order box. If so what ratio and tuning did you use? I currently have one in a 2.5 cuft ported box tuned to 25 hz. It sounds great. I was just curious about possibly trying a 4th order build. I have sent Nick an email asking for his recommendations. I am just wondering if anyone has tried it yet and what their results were. The space I have is 25" deep X 16" wide X what's needed high. My current box is 25" X 16" X 31". I am just wondering if I can gain a few more dBs. I do like the way my current box sounds. I have always wondered about how 4th orders sound. If I build one and it doesn't blow me away with the difference I can always go back to my current box. Also from my guess of needing one cube sealed, a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio will actually be smaller than my current box by 4-5 inches of height. Because my current box is tuned to 25 Hz my port is VERY long and makes the box quite large. Below is a sketch of my box idea.

588117125_4thorder.thumb.png.82e17880f4b20fe951538b6e10b63b10.png

"A nod is just as good as a wink to a blind horse." Rolf - Ed, Edd, and Eddy

I am looking at making my port 7 1/2" X 7 1/2" long, tuned to 45 Hz. When I use The12volt.com calculator I get a port length of 18 3/4" long. That sounds too long to me. I see all these different builds with a MUCH shorter port. Is this a proper length for my port?

The sealed side will be one ft^3, I don't know for sure what the ported side will be. I am waiting on a  recommendation from Nick at Stereo Integrity for my final design. I am looking at a 7 1/2" X 7 1/2" port. I will be running about 2K watts. Thanks for your help.

Archived