Sundown Audio

2400 watt rms

Staggian

You are some what sunning something like what I'm running. 

I have a 2005 crown vic lx sport. 

200 amp police stock alternator

4/0 welding cables under hood

xs power 6500d under hood

northstart 34/78 battery trunk

4/0 welding cable to battery in trunk

3 10" FI subs in a box tuned at 32hz

RF r1200.1d for subs

RF r600.4d for 4 10" prv rear deck

RF r400.4d for 2 PRV bullet tweeters and 2 PRV 6" door speakers

Yes, my subs are under powered big time. I had a nice wolfram 2400 amp for the subs which I just sold to a member here. couldnt run it because in the location I had it hooked up it would over heat. used it for a few hours only. Went back to my RF1200 and problem solved. 

With that said and with the set up I am currently running, I am doing pretty darn good with voltage. Now, my alternator voltage is controlled by PCM so I do get dips here and there but I am getting through. Nothing under 13.2v. I am looking to change that with a ford pcm module from US Alternator in which I am considering in getting.

19 hours ago, Backwoods said:

My opinion.... First electrical upgrade should be big 3, then HO alternator, then extra batteries...

But if I'm the only person you've heard say that, that's really weird LoL. I'm an ASE certified technician and I've been through 2 years of auto college... So I'm a little picky with vehicle electrical systems... I've also got my first system back in 1999... First electrical upgraded system in 2004...  But even just a quick Google search will show others that say the same as me... Others that have competed, sold audio gear, and been in the game for decades.

I will say I have no real first hand experience with lithium. But still think the alternator is more important. And I'm not the only one.

If you Google "car audio battery or alternator first, when to upgrade alternator, charging drained batteries with alternator, most important electrical upgrades for car audio" or any variations of that, I see more people suggesting an alternator first over batteries. Lots of videos, forum post, and Facebook groups with this debate, and there's arguments for both sides, but it seems the majority say alternator is more important...

I'd love to read some informed factual posts about why or when a battery for car audio is more important than the alternator if you have links. I'm always willing to learn.

Screenshot_20200806-170042.png

Hey Backwoods, of course we are pretty much on the same page :) But I might say, Big 3, then add another alternator... Then add another alternator... Then add another alternator, etc, etc,  :) lol Wait, at some point, maybe add a bank (or 3) of super capacitors ? Who needs batteries ? Just make enough juice right from the get go, that you don't need to store shit !  ;) Batteries are for pussies :) lol

Archived