Second Skin Audio

Looking for new subwoofer settup

Looking for a new subwoofer and amp setup.  I currently have a Kicker CompR 12 2ohm but it doesn't fit in my trunk in a properly sized box.  So I'm looking for a 10in sub and amp that will deliver similar bass if not better than my CompR 12in.

My budget is $350 give or take for both.

Thanks,

Jake

$350 for sub, amp, and box will be difficult unless you buy used from someone local... Especially if you're wanting less cone area (10 vs 12) to be louder. You'd need a better sub that can handle much more power, which will cost more. Plus a bigger amp, again costing more.

Then it's just about finding a setup that has a box that fits in your trunk.

What amp do you have now, what size is that box, what are your max dimensions? Where are you located?

Singer 250amp Alt, Singer PCM bypass harness

Titan8 Lithium Underhood safe BCI PWR-S5

Big 3 W/ dual runs of power/ground. All 1/0awg OFC

SounDigital EVO 5K amp, Two 15" Fi SSD subs

Next Level Fabrication @ 7 cubes net, tuned to 32HZ 

5 hours ago, Backwoods said:

$350 for sub, amp, and box will be difficult unless you buy used from someone local... Especially if you're wanting less cone area (10 vs 12) to be louder. You'd need a better sub that can handle much more power, which will cost more. Plus a bigger amp, again costing more.

Then it's just about finding a setup that has a box that fits in your trunk.

What amp do you have now, what size is that box, what are your max dimensions? Where are you located?

$350 is for just the sub and amp.  I was looking at the Skar DDX 10 Dual 4ohm placed in this box, https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_90409_Atrend-10LSV.html powered by this amp, https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rva-m3/

The amp I have now as a Kenwood X500.1 but it recently bit the dust and the box I had my compr in was this one, https://www.amazon.com/E12S-Single-Carpeted-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B0013MWTB2/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=12+sealed+box&qid=1596758646&sr=8-2

The only dimensions I am limmited on is height, and that's 13.5in.

I am new to the subwoofer scene and putting together a settup.. My first settup was put together by Audio Express, which honestly treated me well, but now that I have a new car my origional box was much too large.

I don't have issues with that sub... But the box is tuned low for it. The box is around 30hz, the specs for the sub calls for nearly 40hz...  And that amp... Not a lot of rockville fans around. But if you're looking for a very budget friendly setup I guess go for it. 

If you were close to me and could fit 13.75 height I'd hook you up with better at that price. Subs box and amp... just to see you not get rockville :D

28 minutes ago, Backwoods said:

I don't have issues with that sub... But the box is tuned low for it. The box is around 30hz, the specs for the sub calls for nearly 40hz...  And that amp... Not a lot of rockville fans around. But if you're looking for a very budget friendly setup I guess go for it. 

If you were close to me and could fit 13.75 height I'd hook you up with better at that price. Subs box and amp... just to see you not get rockville :D

You should sell you amps on here. Amps are almost brand new and you are selling them cheap.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

2 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

You should sell you amps on here. Amps are almost brand new and you are selling them cheap.

I think i need a few hundred more posts before i can sell here, otherwise i would!! 

what's the problem with a 13.5" height? do you have similar lengths for width and depth?

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

3 hours ago, Backwoods said:

I'm in Peoria, Arizona

Yeah, I was on the fence about rockville.  I've personally never heard of them before, but someone on reddit recommended that amp so I figured i'd bring it up on this forum to see what others thought of it.  

Realisticaly I'll probably go Kenwood KAC-9106D if I decide on the Skar or something with similar power demands.

Someother subwoofers that I've been eyeing are the Sundown SA Clasic .  I'm open to all suggestions though.  

Here's another box I found that has a closer tunning for the Skar sub, but I don't know if it has too mcuh internal volume or what.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_81067_Atrend-10LSVB-Black.html

Like I said, i'm a newbie to this!

5 minutes ago, mothra said:

what's the problem with a 13.5" height? do you have similar lengths for width and depth?

My trunk is only about 14in height.  For width and depth I figured I wouldn't run into issues since it's only a 10in sub i'm looking for.

Here's the space i'm working with.

b48EqlL.png

I figured I could fit 13.5in height if I put the box in through the trunk opening at a downward angle since from the floor to the roof of the trunk is about 14in.

I just found this site, https://subbox.pro/en/ .

I'm open to building a box if designing a box that meets the subs specs perfect makes a big difference.  But, also I feel like building a box would be much more expensive than buying a prefabbed box that gets close to a subs specs.

EDIT:  I've been playing around with that site and I'm starting to think maybe I can just keep my Kicker CompR 12in and design and build a box for it that will fit in my trunk.

This way I don't have to change out my current wiring in my car for a thicker guage one.  I would just need to replace my amplifier because my last one bit the dust.

Archived