IS it worth Upgrading wiring?

I just picked up a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and have a couple of questions that hopefully somebody will have some insight on.

First, I am having a hard time finding a suitable aftermarket battery (XSpower etc..} for the H7 battery size that this vehicle requires.

2nd. Does anyone know if this vehicle has pcm  regulated alternator?

3rd. Will it be beneficial to run 1/0 to the alt/ starter ? Since the battery is located under the passenger seat and there is already 2awg running up to the engine compartment.

I will be running a Sundown SAZ-2500 to a 12" RE Audio XXX and plan on doing 1/0 from the battery to the rear lithium. 

If you wanted to upgrade the starter battery, the Northstar nsb-agm94r is popular for that year jeep GC.

Yes it has a pcm controlled alt, if you bypass the pcm it will throw a voltage sensing code, if it were my car i would rather source a bracket for a secondary alt and run that straight to the system, otherwise id just let the pcm do its thing.

Is 0 awg worth it? 

150A @ 14.4/ 15ft 2 awg = 4.88% drop (13.7v) 

150A @ 14.4/ 15ft 0 awg = 3.07% drop (13.96v)

150A @ 14.4/ 15ft 2/0 awg = 2.4% drop (14.05v)

Almost lost a whole volt with 2awg at 150a.

The wife has one of those jeeps and the PCM likes to keep the voltage above 14 4 to 14.6, I would suggest running a 1/0 from the alternator to the aftermarket battery near your amp, the pcm will always satisfy the factory voltage measurement, unless you are drawing 120 amps + and running the defogger and heater on higher. Factory alt is 160-180 denso.

On 8/7/2020 at 10:13 PM, slowfkncar said:

If you wanted to upgrade the starter battery, the Northstar nsb-agm94r is popular for that year jeep GC.

Yes it has a pcm controlled alt, if you bypass the pcm it will throw a voltage sensing code, if it were my car i would rather source a bracket for a secondary alt and run that straight to the system, otherwise id just let the pcm do its thing.

Is 0 awg worth it? 

150A @ 14.4/ 15ft 2 awg = 4.88% drop (13.7v) 

150A @ 14.4/ 15ft 0 awg = 3.07% drop (13.96v)

150A @ 14.4/ 15ft 2/0 awg = 2.4% drop (14.05v)

Almost lost a whole volt with 2awg at 150a.

Thank you for the input. I will look into the northstar. And I stand corrected, the factory cable from the stock battery under the seat to the alt/starter is 2/0 not 2 awg 

Archived