Second Skin Audio

A Responsive Ported Box?

melton723

Hey all,

Looking for some opinions/guidance as I am not too experienced with ported enclosures. Is it possible for ported enclosures to perform with tight, punchy and crisp kick drums with rock/metal music? Specifically, with a Sundown SA 12?  I have always ran sealed with past subs but want to try something different. I listen to a variety of genres - mostly rock/metal - but I hate muddy or boomy kick drums in rock/metal. I know hip hop will sound great ported, however. Is it possible to achieve something well-rounded? I'm nervous to spend the money on a custom enclosure and end up not happy. I currently run my SA 12 sealed (yes, I know it's designed to be ported) and it has done a great job for what I was after. But now I am curious to see what this sub is actually capable of with the way it was intended in its design. Some guidance or tips would be appreciated. Should I stay sealed or should I try ported?

I don't have experience with the Sundown subs but I do have experience on the subject of sealed vs ported.

I was a sealed guy back in the day. You could never go wrong with using it for all types of music. Larger enclosure dropped better and smaller enclosures hit harder etc.

I have used ported boxes for the last 3 boxes I've had. If you have a properly designed ported box you should gain dbs as well as have it hit hard. They vary in musicality depending on what frequency you design the box for. 

4 hours ago, melton723 said:

Hey all,

Looking for some opinions/guidance as I am not too experienced with ported enclosures. Is it possible for ported enclosures to perform with tight, punchy and crisp kick drums with rock/metal music? Specifically, with a Sundown SA 12?  I have always ran sealed with past subs but want to try something different. I listen to a variety of genres - mostly rock/metal - but I hate muddy or boomy kick drums in rock/metal. I know hip hop will sound great ported, however. Is it possible to achieve something well-rounded? I'm nervous to spend the money on a custom enclosure and end up not happy. I currently run my SA 12 sealed (yes, I know it's designed to be ported) and it has done a great job for what I was after. But now I am curious to see what this sub is actually capable of with the way it was intended in its design. Some guidance or tips would be appreciated. Should I stay sealed or should I try ported?

Yes, it’s possible for a ported enclosure to have accurate, quick and tight response and be punchy and crisp on kick drums. It’s about how it’s designed. If it isn’t designed correctly then it could sound boomy and slow response or vise versa.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

4 hours ago, pnutz37 said:

I don't have experience with the Sundown subs but I do have experience on the subject of sealed vs ported.

I was a sealed guy back in the day. You could never go wrong with using it for all types of music. Larger enclosure dropped better and smaller enclosures hit harder etc.

I have used ported boxes for the last 3 boxes I've had. If you have a properly designed ported box you should gain dbs as well as have it hit hard. They vary in musicality depending on what frequency you design the box for. 

Cool, thanks for your input.

3 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Yes, it’s possible for a ported enclosure to have accurate, quick and tight response and be punchy and crisp on kick drums. It’s about how it’s designed. If it isn’t designed correctly then it could sound boomy and slow response or vise versa.

Awesome, good to hear. Any particular box tuning range that I should stay in for what I am looking for?

14 hours ago, melton723 said:

Awesome, good to hear. Any particular box tuning range that I should stay in for what I am looking for?

32hz. Around 2 cubic feet of net volume. With around 24-26 square inches of port area. These are figures to make that enclosure with the response you stated for that certain subwoofer. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

On 8/8/2020 at 10:15 AM, 1point21gigawatts said:

32hz. Around 2 cubic feet of net volume. With around 24-26 square inches of port area. These are figures to make that enclosure with the response you stated for that certain subwoofer. 

Dope. Thanks! That was helpful.

Archived