Second Skin Audio

Help designing a box

Hello, so I have a Kicker CompR 12in 2ohm and want to build a ported box for in.  

Here is the space I am working with,

b48EqlL.png

Here is the box I have designed, 

https://subbox.pro/en/design/?bt=2&bw=889&bh=330.2&bv=56.6&mt=19&fp=1&sq=1&ss=12&cd=279.4&md=160&sv=2.8&so=-203.2&sd=20&sb=&sn=&pt=4&pq=1&rf=30.8&pd=121.94&pw=2&pa=116.72&pp=100

Here is the specs the subwoofer recommends, https://www.kicker.com/app/manuals/subwoofers/compR/2016_CompR_Rev_F.pdf

I've never built a box before so any inputs/suggestions would be much appricated.

Your port area is not near enough. Should be around 30-33''ish...

I do have one strong suggestion though. IF you have a nice table saw and wood cutting skills, that's great. Cut it yourself. Otherwise, just find a specialty hard wood store (NOT a Home Depot or Lowes) bring them a cut sheet and have them cut it for you. They always carry MDF though. Their specialty woods are expensive, and sometimes quite hard. So they are used to dealing with picky customers, and keep their blades like a razor ;) A box for a 12" sub, the wood + cutting, might be like $50 or $60. Stop by Home Depot on the way home for screws and glue. Have a solid, factory specs box, put together by that evening :) Easy peasy :) 

5 hours ago, Fish Chris said:

Your port area is not near enough. Should be around 30-33''ish...

I do have one strong suggestion though. IF you have a nice table saw and wood cutting skills, that's great. Cut it yourself. Otherwise, just find a specialty hard wood store (NOT a Home Depot or Lowes) bring them a cut sheet and have them cut it for you. They always carry MDF though. Their specialty woods are expensive, and sometimes quite hard. So they are used to dealing with picky customers, and keep their blades like a razor ;) A box for a 12" sub, the wood + cutting, might be like $50 or $60. Stop by Home Depot on the way home for screws and glue. Have a solid, factory specs box, put together by that evening :) Easy peasy :) 

Thank you for your response!  I was starting to wonder if I was gonna get one, haha.  I have since updated the box after catching the small port area.

Here's a link to the latest design.

Custom Box

As for wood, I plan on buying 3/4 MDF from my local homedepot and then using a buddies table saw and router tools to make all my cuts.

A buddy recommended that I add 45 degree angles to my interior corners of my box.  Unfortunatly I can't add them to my design in sub box pro to account for the reduced internal volume.

How big off a difference do they make and how would I determine how much cu ft they take up?

Archived