Second Skin Audio

Please help newbie....I guess lol

15 hours ago, BUCKNAKEDOFFROAD said:

CstrokerV - That is 5 cubes after displacements. Is it better to go with factory specs on a box? Some of the research I did suggested a bigger box will add to volume and deeper bass. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Sometimes a little bigger, but 5ft net seems quite a bit bigger than one 15" needs. I'm running an 18" in 5 cubes bet. Most 15"s are best in like 2.7 to 3.5 cubes.

On 8/7/2020 at 5:36 PM, BUCKNAKEDOFFROAD said:

I need help with box design or maybe sub setup or maybe both. I have DC XL 15 powered by a Skar RP 2000.1 amp. With my current setup it pops and cracks when certain bass hits. My question is do I need a new box, more power, less power, better amp tuning? 

My current box is:  

Size - 5 cubic ft

Tuned - 32hz

Port Area - 90 inch

Port inlet 5.45x16.5

port length - 35.75

I only have one battery at the moment with 0 gauge wire. 

That enclosure is way too big and has too much port area per cubic foot. That’s the problem. Plus, that amp isn’t no where near enough for that subwoofer. But the rms of the amp isn’t the problem and that amp would work fine with that subwoofer, not optimal because the subwoofer could handle way more, like way more, but that amp you have now would work just fine. Which leads me to another analysis and another problem you are having, which is you most likely have the amp tuned wrong. Make an enclosure around 3-3.5 cubes after displacements, not a point bigger and do about 14-16 square inches per cubic foot of net volume, not an inch bigger. And tune your amp correctly. And remember that a subwoofer never sees that 1 ohm rms because of impedance rise and the load is never 1 ohm and rises differently depending on the frequency playing, thus less rms is generating to the subwoofer, always. So matching an amp to a subwoofer isn’t as easy as matching rms figures. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

20 hours ago, BUCKNAKEDOFFROAD said:

CstrokerV - That is 5 cubes after displacements. Is it better to go with factory specs on a box? Some of the research I did suggested a bigger box will add to volume and deeper bass. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

You can use Bigger boxes if you are using less then rms usually and can be dependent on subs and how much rms you are using.... you are probably bottoming out on those songs is what that noise could be 

8 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

That enclosure is way too big and has too much port area per cubic foot. That’s the problem. Plus, that amp isn’t no where near enough for that subwoofer. But the rms of the amp isn’t the problem and that amp would work fine with that subwoofer, not optimal because the subwoofer could handle way more, like way more, but that amp you have now would work just fine. Which leads me to another analysis and another problem you are having, which is you most likely have the amp tuned wrong. Make an enclosure around 3-3.5 cubes after displacements, not a point bigger and do about 14-16 square inches per cubic foot of net volume, not an inch bigger. And tune your amp correctly. And remember that a subwoofer never sees that 1 ohm rms because of impedance rise and the load is never 1 ohm and rises differently depending on the frequency playing, thus less rms is generating to the subwoofer, always. So matching an amp to a subwoofer isn’t as easy as matching rms figures. 

1point21gigawatts - Thanks! I will start working a new enclosure as well. 

Check if you can get access to a fluke 97 and set the voltage to record the minimum and connected to the 12 V of the amplifier, this can usually indicate if you have a low voltage situation, I agree with the above post sometimes a bigger box will not provide enough air suspension to the subwoofer and mechanical max versus X  max may be reached with certain notes.

9 minutes ago, Big daddy8 said:

Check if you can get access to a fluke 97 and set the voltage to record the minimum and connected to the 12 V of the amplifier, this can usually indicate if you have a low voltage situation, I agree with the above post sometimes a bigger box will not provide enough air suspension to the subwoofer and mechanical max versus X  max may be reached with certain notes.

Thanks. I have a fluke and will try that. I do believe I have a low voltage situation, so I'm ordering a new alternator and second battery soon. 

I measure voltage at my amp with a meter and although it was still 13+, after my dc lvl 2 12 popped loud twice like a ballon, the Voice could started to smell, turned it in for warranty 

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

Archived