Sonic Electronix

Do I Need a DSP or Equalizer

I am installing a system in a 2019 ram 1500. I am using the factory (12”) radio. I am adding the PAC-AP4-CH41 to the radio, Hifonics 2200.1D mono amp, 2 Sundown Audio SA-12’s in a Fox Acoustics box, and a  Soundstream 4.0 farad capacitor. The truck has the Harmon Kardon system and I am planning to keep the stock door, dash speakers for now. I might upgrade in the future but for now I am on a tight budget.  I am very much a noob. Ive searches several forums but I haven’t found any help. Do I need to add a digital sound processor, crossover, or equalizer to my system? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks 

You don't NEED one... but they help to make a system sound that much better, and that PAC-AP4-CH41 doesn't seem that in depth when it comes to "fixing" the signal coming out if the stock head unit

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

3 hours ago, Pep_594 said:

What would I benefit more from? I’ve never used a DSP, active crossover, or a equalizer. The only equalizer I’ve ever used came on aftermarket radios. 

Neither if you don’t know how to use them. Even if you did know how to use, you don’t have an extensive enough car audio setup to need either. Just use some component sets that come with passive crossovers and keep the head unit EQs flat and set the crossovers on the amps accordingly. That’s it. That’s what a lot of people do. That’s what I do. Instead of spending money on a dsp or an active crossover or an equalizer, buy a cc1 to set the amps crossovers correctly and buy a dd1 to set the amps gains and find a clipping point on the head unit, if there is a clipping point, so you know how much you can turn your head unit up before distortion is detected so you know the point to tune the amps at. And that capacitor isn’t gonna do anything. It’s no where near big enough. Capacitors are useless unless they are about 100 farads or more. Just get an extra agm battery and do a big 3 upgrade.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

I *think* you need a line converter to take your factory signal, to have rcas. I don't know much about it because I don't have a newer vehicle. Though I think this will help you.

HU: Pioneer DMH-Z5350BT

Mids & Highs: ML280.3, ML700.3, ML1800.3 Mille Legend Series 3 way

Lows: x3 JL Audio 12TW3 powered by JL Audio RD1500/1 

Cable: x2 Skyhigh 0 Gage OFC kits. Skyhigh 8 gage & 16 gage OFC speaker cable

Sound Deadener: 121 sq feet of Skyhigh 120mil
DSP: AudioControl DM 810

Project Build Log

Click here: 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SQ Build to see the build progress.

48 minutes ago, Joseph Chambers said:

I *think* you need a line converter to take your factory signal, to have rcas. I don't know much about it because I don't have a newer vehicle. Though I think this will help you.

He has an aftermarket interface to make a signal. Does the same thing as an loc and makes it where he doesn’t need a dsp.

1294A132-CC55-423A-BB9A-0F8E60A910DE.jpeg

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

What you have will work, just as 1 giga mentioned.

The factory head unit only has line-out, which means the volume,fading & balance is digitally controlled by the amp or an integration module such as your pac ap4, a regular line driver or loc won't work without a volume knob so you made the right choice.

If you want/need an EQ, you'll have to add one but i bet your factory one will work fine for what you got.

If you are going for a true sound go with a DSP.  It has so much you can do with it.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

A DSP can be had for really cheap. The one in my truck is a Dayton 408, which only cost $150, and it does SO much. But just a fair warning: Hooking up a DSP is really easy. Dialing one in to get the full benefits from it can be very difficult and time consuming. If you don't know what your doing, it can get worse, before it gets better.

Honestly, using a factory head unit, you might almost "have to have a DSP" as that unit will likely start cutting out your bass at anything over a very low volume level. They do this, as the factory speakers are not designed to put out a lot of bass, nor do they have the power available. My car "had to have" a DSP. My truck did not, as I had an aftermarket HU in it anyway.

Yea, and you need tools to know how to use a DSP. It's not like you have 6 bands and EQ buy ear haha. You need to know what freq from 20 to 20,000 you need to move. 

HU: Pioneer DMH-Z5350BT

Mids & Highs: ML280.3, ML700.3, ML1800.3 Mille Legend Series 3 way

Lows: x3 JL Audio 12TW3 powered by JL Audio RD1500/1 

Cable: x2 Skyhigh 0 Gage OFC kits. Skyhigh 8 gage & 16 gage OFC speaker cable

Sound Deadener: 121 sq feet of Skyhigh 120mil
DSP: AudioControl DM 810

Project Build Log

Click here: 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SQ Build to see the build progress.

Archived