Sonic Electronix

Anyone else set low & high pass crossovers with multimeter?

Just been tweaking with the system, since I’ve really been trying to achieve proper output for this new subwoofer so I don’t blow it. Feel free to correct anything I say here! But take your rms of your sub (I only did procedure this for 1 subwoofer) and multiply that wattage times your ohm wiring. I have 600x2. That equation equals 1200. Find the square root of your number, mine is 34.64. Unplug the speaker wiring, and install the + & - probes of a DMM. Volume at 3/4, gain down. High pass crossover all the way down, low pass crossover all the way up. I played a 50hz test tone. Turned the high pass up until I had a volt change, then a 20hz tone while adjusting the low pass until I had a voltage change. Then another 50hz tone until I achieved 34.64v on the meter! I don’t have an oscilloscope, as many others might not. For the experts, what do you think about this method for keeping a sub from being over powered??

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

Archived