Second Skin Audio

Qtc formula confusion

RazorRust

I am trying to build a subwoofer box.

My understanding of Qtc is that below 0.7 is overdamped and above 0.7 is underdamped. Overdamped will be a tighter bass.

However, when I enter a subwoofer's Vas, Qts, and a Vb (box volume) into a Qtc formula, I get a lower Qtc with a larger box. Which will not provide a tighter bass.

So what am I doing wrong?

Smaller enclosures are more responsive and can handle more rms. But if done correctly a bigger enclosure can have good response and accuracy and get louder than a smaller enclosure. You just have to tune the enclosure lower if you increase the enclosure’s net volume. Plus the port area has to be done accordingly. Just let me know. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

I'm just using different Speaker box calculators I've found online. They all give me the same results. Like this one, https://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/SpeakerBoxEnclosure/ .

I definitely want a sealed enclosure with a fast response ("tighter" bass as some say).

Its going in a hatchback car. I've got 300w rms for the subwoofer. I was trying to decide between 2 8's and 1 10. I started looking at subwoofers and boxes available. I was entering the qts, vas, fs, and vb into these speaker box calculators trying to find a decent set up. 

I read a lower qtc was overdamped and higher was underdamped. I believe anything around 0.6 - 0.9 qtc is going to sound good. I would prefer a tighter bass.

I was confused because in my head a larger sealed box would seem underdamped (not as tight), but I guess this is not the case.

There isn’t an average sizing rule when it comes to subwoofers because if the difference is t/s parameters and specifications each subwoofer has. But no worries. What are your choices, like which 2 8” subwoofers and which 10” subwoofer are you planning on choosing from? Once you tell me, I can tell you what size enclosure to do on either to achieve tight and accurate bass.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Archived