Second Skin Audio

Fiberglass Sub Box

Daddy_

Im looking to do a fiberglass box in my 2012 Acura TL in the spare tire. I have a single 12" JL Audio W7 running off a  JL HD 1200/1 in a sealed box right now and it sounds accurate but not loud and boomy enough. JL's website suggests 1.75 ft3 net volume but I'm going to go bigger. I'm hoping I can do 2.5 ft3 tuned to 32-34hertz. Is this a good size box for it? Also my other question is since it will be a ported fiberglass box I'm going to be using a aero port. Will I need one or two aero ports how long and what size diameter if I go 2.5ft3 tuned to 32-34 hertz?

Car: 2012 Acura TL Elite

Head Unit: JL Audio Fix86

Front Stage : Alpine SPX-17PRO

Rear Stage : Alpine SPR-60C

Component Amp : JL Audio HD 600/4

Sub : 1 12" JL Audio W7

Sub Amp : JL Audio HD 1200

34 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

What happened to building a 4th order enclosure?

I scrapped it and got a single 12 W7

Fiberglass itself flexes too much, thus negatively effecting output. Fiberglass is only good for doing speaker enclosures. Not subwoofer enclosures. The only good thing about a fiberglass subwoofer enclosure is it looks good. That’s it. And one aero port is better than two aero ports. Going from two 10” subwoofers to one 12” subwoofer on the same amp was a bad idea and even though that one 12” subwoofer is better, them two 10” subwoofers are louder. The only way for that subwoofer to get as loud as them two 10” subwoofers in a 4th order enclosure is to put that 12” subwoofer in a 4th order enclosure. itself flexes too much, thus negatively effecting output. Fiberglass is only good for doing speaker enclosures. Not subwoofer enclosures. The only good thing about a fiberglass subwoofer enclosure is it looks good. That’s it. And one aero port is better than two aero ports. Going from two 10” subwoofers to one 12” subwoofer on the same amp was a bad idea and even though that one 12” subwoofer is better, them two 10” subwoofers are louder. The only way for that subwoofer to get as loud as them two 10” subwoofers in a 4th order enclosure is to put that 12” subwoofer in a different designed 4th order enclosure.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Before I had two 10 w6s I had one 13.5 w7 on same amp in a 2.5 ft3 tuned to 34 hertz on the same amp. It was a lot louder deeper. And the bass made my rear view mirror slide down. I'm sure if I do the same box for the single 12 it will slam just like that

Archived