Second Skin Audio

Do all subs sound the same in the same box?

slybu

wondering about this. if i have a box for a 12 inch subwoofer and box size is 1cuft, would all subs in that box sound the same? im assuming power handling would make a difference probably to output? or is there a difference e.g some subs will have more output on the lower notes than other subs?

No they won't sound exactly the same. I have tested that theory before. Same amp, same enclosure, everything same just swap the sub... Different sound.

Different subs have different specs, parameters, and call for different sized enclosures and different tuning. 

Even taking two different subs that both call for the same exact box specs can sound different at different frequencies.

But if all things are otherwise equal, the difference in SPL output is not likely to be that great. SQ is another thing entirely.

Singer 250amp Alt, Singer PCM bypass harness

Titan8 Lithium Underhood safe BCI PWR-S5

Big 3 W/ dual runs of power/ground. All 1/0awg OFC

SounDigital EVO 5K amp, Two 15" Fi SSD subs

Next Level Fabrication @ 7 cubes net, tuned to 32HZ 

Wow didnt think there would be such a difference in a small sealed box.

Iv attached a pic of my setup. Iv got a pioneer 12 inch tsw-304c sub in 1cuft sealed box. I have a grill over the sub now.

Amp is alpine mrv-t707 so 240w rms

Any recommendations for subs that will fit in the box and sound better? As in deeper etc?

20180719_125551.jpg

I can tell you a subwoofer that would sound better in that enclosure but for a deeper sounding bass response, the enclosure has to be bigger. Smaller the enclosure, the bass response is quicker, which generates a tighter and punchier bass response. Bigger the enclosure, the bass response is slower, which generates a deeper bass response. This is because the smaller a subwoofer enclosure is, in reason, not like crazy small, the better control the subwoofer has. Think of it like this, a breeze moves easier, better and quicker through a small area but kind of lingers and dissipates slowly in a big area. A good sounding. A subwoofer enclosure is far more important than the subwoofer itself. A subwoofer enclosure is the second most important thing in reference to a car audio system. The most important thing in reference to a car audio system is the vehicle’s electrical setup that feeds the car audio system.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

So basically what I’m saying is, the most optimal way to change the sound of your car audio system when you are just looking to change one piece of your car audio system, is to change the subwoofer enclosure. Changing the subwoofer on the same amp won’t make a huge difference. Noticeable depending on the subwoofer swap, but not huge. But changing the enclosure to a size or enclosure type completely different would make a huge difference in the sound of your car audio system. 

5 hours ago, slybu said:

i dont want to give up any more boot space but wondering what would difference be if kept same box size but switched to a 800w rms sub and amp combo? would it be just louder?

also updated pic with the grill on the sub:

IMG_20200617_111126.jpg

What kind of budget are you trying to stay around?

160 pounds isn’t enough for a 800 rms amp and another subwoofer. But alpine type R’s are super good subwoofers but for it to sound totally different and better than what you have now is to buy a bigger amp. 

https://www.skaraudio.com/collections/rp-car-audio-amplifiers/products/rp-800-1d-car-amplifier#

1 ohm stable amp, so the subwoofer has to be dual 2 ohms. An alpine type r would pair nicely with that amp, don’t worry about matching the specs. After impedance rise that subwoofer won’t actually see 800 rms. It would see less. So don’t worry about if the subwoofer could handle that amp because it could handle an amp even bigger. For sure.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500RW12D2/Alpine-R-W12D2.html

Archived