Second Skin Audio

Do all subs sound the same in the same box?

slybu

5 hours ago, slybu said:

Out of interest what would sound better the alpine in the sealed 1cuft box or if the pioneer was put into a ported box?

When you say better, in what aspect? Because that’s a matter of preference. My preference of sounding better is generating more decibels. SPL flexin’ is what I like. What is your preference and what kind of sound are you wanting your car audio system to produce? Explain what you like when it comes to a car audio system’s sound.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Ok i see that i am being a bit vague in this. I have 2 cars with some sounds in. The pics of the pioneer sub is in my mk7 Toyota celica.

Now i also have a mk3 ford fiesta and the bass is exactly as i like it goes deep and loud. It used 2 x 12inch reaudio se12 subs on the re35.1d amp also from resonant engineering.

I will get some pics up of it. But it uses all the boot space since its a ported box of 4.8 cubes.

I guess im trying to replicate the sound on a smaller scale so it doesnt eat up the boot space since i use the celica for the shopping run. Sometimes use fiesta for shopping but have to use the back seats. Wasnt a issue back in the days but now with kids its a problem.

here is a photo attached. so i guess what im trying to do is replicate this sort of sound but in 1cuft space. its been 18 years since i got the reaudio setup so wondering if technology has advanced enough since then for me to achieve my goals.

IMG_0008.JPG

Honestly, I would buy another subwoofer with a higher rms handling and then put it in a custom built ported enclosure and then buy another amp in the future. But if you can only pick buying a ported subwoofer enclosure or that alpine subwoofer then I would definitely pick buying a ported subwoofer enclosure. Because that small sealed enclosure would never replicate the same sound in a smaller scale as that other setup. But a ported enclosure would, more or less. 

Are you sure that you can’t put a 1.5 cubic foot enclosure or a 1.75 cubic foot enclosure? Because to come close to replicating the the other vehicles sound you would have to install a ported enclosure on a 12 inch subwoofer. Because an 8 inch subwoofer or 10 inch subwoofer won’t sound as deep as a 12 inch subwoofer or 15 inch subwoofer. Make your wife go shopping or store groceries smarter with a bigger enclosure. It’s possible. 

4 minutes ago, slybu said:

I noticed this sundown audio 12inch lcs sub has a lower vas than my pioneer. Would it also work as a good drop in replacement to the pioneer?

https://sundownaudio.com/lv/sa/subwoofers/lcs-series/

It would sound better in that sealed enclosure but wouldn’t replicate the sound of your other vehicle. The bass would still be not that loud and not that deep. The only way to replicate the sound of you other vehicle is to go ported. 

Archived