Component crossovers. Difference in size.

RazorRust

A lot of engineering can go into crossovers, a simple 6db two way circuit will have just a cap & coil, 12db would require another cap and coil and more as you go steeper in slope.

Resistors are often used to soften or blend your tweets, zobel circuits can be added to keep impedance flat, baffle step circuits can be used to change phase etc.. 

You can see how the circuits cad add up rather quickly from just a single cap & coil.

Ahh I see. Thanks for the help.

I have a  couple more questions.

Would the simpler crossover (6dB) use less power than the more complex crossovers? Therefore providing the speaker with more power.

Does your average low end coaxial speaker have a crossover with a slope? I see some people saying there is just a filter. Isn't a crossover just a filter?

Thanks for the help! I've been reading about speakers for weeks!

I have 2 coaxial speakers in the front. I am replacing each coaxial with a midrange and a tweeter. I plan on wiring the mid and tweeter in parallel. As well as wiring both sides in parallel.

The tweeters (1.8KHz - 20KHz) have an inline crossover.

The midrange speakers (85Hz - 7KHz) have no crossover.

I will use a HPF around 100Hz.

Will frequencies above 7KHz damage the midrange speakers?

Could the amp be damaged because the mids and tweeters share the same frequencies between 1.8KHz - 7KHz?

Mid & tweet in parallel is fine but id keep left and right in stereo/2ch mode.

Ok, the tweets have a 1.8khz 6db hpf, while it is suspiciously low for a tweet on 6db, it will work if its made for that set, if your using a random crossover, make sure it is designed for the impedance and response of the driver.

You will have a hard time damaging your mid with high frequencies, not impossible but highly unlikely.

One major thing to consider is most 6" midbass can't really play beyond 3k without cone breakup or some type of imperfection, with the inductance spec of your midbass, you can calculate a series coil for a 6db LPF to help prevent this.

Is it possible to damage an amp with two drivers? Yes it is but would depend on overall impedance and a lack of passive hpf/lpf, a 4 ohm mid and tweet together on a 2 way passive xover will never see 2 ohms due to each driver rising when played above/below lpf/hpf, thanks to the cap & coil.

Archived