High Output Alt came with different pigtail

Hey guys, I recently got a new 250a Alt from JS and after installing it...I realized that the pigtail is a 3 pin while the stock is a 2 pin. The car is a 2011 Jetta SE 2.5L L5 and it had a Bosche 140a alt (07K903023c).

I couldnt find any information on how to wire it up and I tried contacting them through instagram and email but I havent yet got a response. This is my daily driver and I need the vehicle to run as soon as I can, I would appreciate any help. Right now I went with my gut and stripped the wires from the old plug. The colors dont match with the new plug but there is a lighter color wire and a darker color wire and a third red wire (on the new plug) that doesnt connect to anything, nor does it touch anything inside the alt plug housing. So being that there are only 2 wires that seem to connect with the new plug and 2 wires on the old plug, I thought it would be best to connect those following the lighter/darker wire color scheme. Am I wrong, is there anything Im missing? I havent started the car yet as Im worried I have it wrong and I do not know what consequences await me if its backwards or wrong and start the car.

If you need anymore information or pictures please let me know.

Update: 

I got a multimeter and turned the car on and the voltage reads 14.7v-14.8v and everything seems fine while driving. The issue is, when I turned the volume all the way up and have the bass knob all the way up the dash flickers off and on. The stereo and everything else seems okay but the car seems to slow and the dash lights drop off for a second. The voltage doesnt drop below 12.5v. This makes me think that I missed something....

Sounds like it's overvolting and shutting down the car for a moment. My Mazda speed had the same issue, Try running just a tickle wire from the battery to the alt pigtail to have it excite and stay charging. Not 100% if that's what I was suppose to do but it's pushed my Singer alt for about 2 years now no more problems.

If you have a power probe use that before wiring anything in

7 hours ago, Ryan Turner said:

My Mazda speed had the same issue, Try running just a tickle wire from the battery to the alt pigtail to have it excite and stay charging. Not 100% if that's what I was suppose to do but it's pushed my

7 hours ago, Ryan Turner said:

Sounds like it's overvolting and shutting down the car for a moment. My Mazda speed had the same issue, Try running just a tickle wire from the battery to the alt pigtail to have it excite and stay charging. Not 100% if that's what I was suppose to do but it's pushed my Singer alt for about 2 years now no more problems.

If you have a power probe use that before wiring anything in

@The car itself does seem to slow down when I turn system up, but I suspected that was from the alternator causing more strain on the engine trying to keep up with the demand. The only real issue (aside from the engine working a bit harder is just the dash cluster itself, nothing else seems top cut or flicker. @1point21gigawatts has been helping me all day with wiring it up and with it wired up as JS and others have said, its still occurring.

If I cant get this situated then I will try that.

Yeah, that's how mine was acting. It would cut my steering off and flash my entire gauge cluster as if the car had just started again so I just bypassed any concerns and did it that way because...steering important xD haha ( Mind you after trying a few different pigtail configurations first to try and keep factory as possible)

1 hour ago, AaronT said:

No supprise, JS couldn't get an alt right even if someone else built them for him... Oh wait, someone else does. Lol

JS’s initial instruction on their website instructed him correctly but their instructions are vague and not enough information for people that don’t know alternators. So he didn’t understand the field wire from the pigtail connects to the factory dfm wire. He knew about the excite wire connecting to the factory ignition wire. And he didn’t have the alternator sensing the battery correctly. In this case, since on that alternator there isn’t a battery sensing wire in the factory pigtail runs, so he had to route the sensing wire from the aftermarket pigtail to the alternator post (because it’s connected to the battery, so it’s sensing the battery). JS instructs how to hook the alternators up, but for people that don’t know alternators that well wouldn’t understand their vague instructions. Which I do admit, are pretty vague. JS could make it easier but their alternators are good and they always email me back, which is a plus. But on another note, who makes JS’s alternators? I remember you saying something about that, but I forgot. And what did the owner of JS do again that made you and some other people not like him? I know he did something messed up. I heard you talk about it and other people talk about it, but I forgot that too. I use to smoke bud for many years and my memory isn’t the best lol! My bad. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Archived