9 hours ago, MrSkippyJ said:

oh having her around is a dream. Trying to sit at the computer all day long and work with her around is a challenge but we are figuring it out.

I actually have two 2wd slashes. One was my dad's he gave me, sorta...lol. that one is kept as a short course set up so I could keep mine as a street set up. I feel like I have the basics down pretty well. I can build a car from a kit pretty easily. I haven't had any issues with the spur and pinion gears so I assume I can set the mesh between them good enough. I haven't broken very many parts outside of wrecks so I feel pretty confident I can build them successfully. I think where I have the most to learn is from tuning to get the most performance and definitely need LOTS of practice driving them. 

I want to turn my axial into a rear steer mostly just to do it. Most of what I have done has been replacing factory parts or building kits. I want to try something that isn't off the shelf.

The videos i watch most are RC Sparks videos. Not sure why I watch his, just do. They aren't better or worse than others, although I do like his build videos a lot. 

That is really cool. I remember what that is like lol. Our son still drives me batty at times when I am trying to get things done. Oooo that is a nice idea actually.  Now you got me thinking thanks a lot haha.  I need another  Slash so I can build a street drag slash.  I haven't done heavy mods to my cars in years. I kinda just replaced a few parts with aftermarket. My favorite trick for setting mesh is using a thing piece of notebook paper. I have busted a few myself. Mainly from bad landings from stupid high jumps lol. I sent my emaxx off a bmx jump that went just around 20' up. Straight down nose first on the only rock around for 50 feet. Bulkhead,shock tower and arm snapped. I went to all aluminum parts after that and a lot of mods. Spent way tooooo much money on it. Kit building is my favorite part of this hobby. Just getting hard to find really good kits anymore. Tamiya still has spectacular kits that make me giggle when looking at them. So I kina stick with stock on a couple. Heavy upgrades on others. I always do the diffs and drive shafts first thing. I go through them the most. It sounds like you got a better understanding than you sounded like. Heck you are further along than many folks are. They don't even know how to wrench on them or ever built a kit.

Nothing wrong with that at all. That is what most of the mods are. Just something to do that isn't same old stuff.

Oh I get a kick out of his. Plus I actually do like his vids. Like Kev he isn't some boring professor talking to you lol. This guy is pretty interesting also. Not sure if you have seen him or not. He dose make some one off builds like a few others. I just started watching him.

If you are interested this link is where I learned a lot of my set ups from. You might know about but just encase. I have books from the last 20 years I think lol

https://www.rccaraction.com/

I probably run it the least, but the slash is my favorite car. Most likely because it was my first hah. Jumping and running head on into immovable objects are the 2 quickest ways to break stuff, but also the funnest ways! I rarely break something from flips and just driving fast, but jumps and sudden starts get me every time.

One "issue" i have is that RTRs come from the factory fairly bullet proof these days. I spend less time upgrading parts, though I don't save any money since the cars cost more...

Yeah I like Kev's videos, i watch a lot of his for sure. I watch WAY too many RC videos really. THey got me wanting to build a track in my back yard...

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 9:06 AM, MrSkippyJ said:

I probably run it the least, but the slash is my favorite car. Most likely because it was my first hah. Jumping and running head on into immovable objects are the 2 quickest ways to break stuff, but also the funnest ways! I rarely break something from flips and just driving fast, but jumps and sudden starts get me every time.

One "issue" i have is that RTRs come from the factory fairly bullet proof these days. I spend less time upgrading parts, though I don't save any money since the cars cost more...

Yeah I like Kev's videos, i watch a lot of his for sure. I watch WAY too many RC videos really. THey got me wanting to build a track in my back yard...

It would be the same way for me. I don't have smooth roads or parking lots close to me. Only reason I don't have in road cars. Even though I really want some fast nitro ones.

True most today are much more sturdy. I will say my first upgrades right off the bat with any rtr. Is the servos,wheel bearings from stock to coated ceramic and drive axles. Drive axles are the parts I break all the time. With my slash it was brushed converted to brushless. It got to the point i would go through axels every run. I would also blow the rear tires every run. It got expensive to run lol. But Tony at traxxas told me to come down to the shop in Dallas. Oh I live about 1.5 hours from the traxxas store 😀. He helped me to figure out what was going on. He gave me some drive lines from a e revo and some after market tires that woukd hold up to my truck. It is one of 20 that had that issue. He and the others could make it do things i didn't know it could do lol.

Yeah his and other people's videos do that to me also. I have to start limiting myself on them. I'm been watching the infraction and starting to get a real bad itch 

I would love to go to that store. probably spend way too much though...My slash 4x4 got all the upgrades. Proline Steel axels, upgraded steering knuckes and casters, RPM A arms, and other stuff. I built it to run 3s all day long.

I just got my new Reefs RC servo for my Kraton. That should be a solid servo for that car. 

I kind of want an erevo too, but i am going to wait before i do that and play with what I have first.

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Have you ever thought about running 1/8 off road either electric or nitro? I’ve raced for Mugen Seiki over the last 10 years while there kits are not cheap They are bullet proof.  I can confidently run  long 60min mains and not have a single concern for breakage. On my practice kit I have 8 gallons of fuel on it w/o changing diff or shock fluid. Every gallon or so I will change the TKO clutch bearings. Buku clutches are amazing. 
Since corona stopped racing one weekend we set up a kicker ramp in front of my house and jumped onto the back side pitch of my single story roof then 9’ drop to the ground. Me and 4 Mugen buddies spent an entire afternoon playing without a single breakage. Once we got bored we started making speed runs on a neighbors air strip. I run 1700kv which allows me to run anything from 4-6S batteries With a 4S pack it hit 58 with 16 tooth pinion and 78mph with a 12 tooth I had laying around. We threw a 6S in and managed 94mph. Only changes were pinion and ride height. That same kits now runs 154mph(I sold to a friend)Most racers have to have the latest greatest so you can pick them up used for great prices. (Hint RC tech.net) 

1/8 buggies and truggies are by far the best for bashing if you have the budget. 
I started with Traxxas like most but the only one in my collection now belongs to my 10yr old daughter. 

-Cheers

A9D5D4F4-D96F-4590-9E68-F50DC71BB9AE.jpeg

running them seriously, no. I am far too unskilled for that and I will never spend the time to learn that skill lol. I have seen plenty of those buggies at the local hobby shop and have thought about it. I'm just not into nitro, though I think there may have been some electric ones. I have a few 1/8 cars already. The Kraton and traxxas UDR are 1/8 scale so i run them at times. 

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived