need general wiring advice

hello. this is my first build, so i've been running into a few silly problems, though i feel like i have some stuff figured out. 

to start, i have a 290 amp singer "290A 240+A (315A peak) POWER EDGE (BEST IDLE)" and two batteries total, plus the big 3, but my entire system front to back idles at 14.2v and drops relatively easily. could this be a grounding issue? i did two frame grounds total front and back that look pretty damn good to me, so i don't know..

my question is, shouldn't i be idling higher?

additional question: i have two 1/0 wires coming off of my rear battery onto my power fuse block. should i move one of those to alt-front battery?

2089919086_PhotoAug25131405.thumb.jpg.aecd596d13045dbfe688913584ece079.jpg1587049845_PhotoAug27200009.thumb.jpg.c9140b5c15691e692a08d8646bce10f8.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That d3400 in the picture isn’t even grounded directly to the vehicle. It goes to a block and then the block is grounded to the vehicle. And the grounds are very long. I see them problems that would affect voltage. Plus the way you have the positive feeds split instead of ran together would affect voltage too. Run the wires together. Plus you should split the ground runs either. And there most likely are more problems. Post pictures of under your hood then I can tell you what to do on the wiring to fix it. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

1 minute ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

That d3400 in the picture isn’t even grounded directly to the vehicle. It goes to a block and then the block is grounded to the vehicle. And the grounds are very long. I see them problems that would affect voltage. Plus the way you have the positive feeds split instead of ran together would affect voltage too. And there most likely are more problems. Post pictures of under your hood then I can tell you what to do on the wiring to fix it. 

so it's recommended to ground the battery separately? i thought having a strong frame ground to a distribution block would be good.

17 minutes ago, 3000iphones said:

so it's recommended to ground the battery separately? i thought having a strong frame ground to a distribution block would be good.

There’s 4 ground wires being used, 3 running to the amps and 1 running to the battery and it only has 1 run grounding both the amp and the battery. That’s a weak ass ground. And the ground connection makes the grounds super long since you are using a block. Plus that speaker amps ground wire is super long for no reason when it could ne ran straight to the amp instead of around that fuse block. Ground wires are suppose to be 18” or below.

4 minutes ago, 3000iphones said:

alt to positive, alt case to battery ground, battery to frame.

Photo Aug 27, 21 01 21.jpg

Where’s the factory positive feed from the battery to the alternator? If that is not connected, it too would mess up voltage. There’s something about that factory battery to alternator positive connection that makes it have to stay in circuit. 

Archived