need general wiring advice

1 hour ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Put that factory battery to alternator connect back on. That run that goes from you front battery, run that to a fuse block and then straight to the back battery, then run 2 1/0 gauge and 1 4 gauge wire from the back battery’s positive post to that quad fuse block, then run 2 1/0 gauge wires and 1 4 gauge wire from that quad fuse block to the amps.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Instead of 2 1/0 gauge feeds, only do 1 because that smart 3 only needs one 1/0 gauge positive feed from the back battery positive positive post to the fuse block and then to the amp. Then you would have to do a 4 gauge feed coming from the positive post of the battery to the fuse block then to the speaker amp. Because the speaker amp, plus the subwoofer amp together would pull a bit more current that one 1/0 ofc wire can handle, so there has to be 2 runs coming from the back battery, one 1/0 gauge run and one 4 gauge run. 

20 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Instead of 2 1/0 gauge feeds, only do 1 because that smart 3 only needs one 1/0 gauge positive feed from the back battery positive positive post to the fuse block and then to the amp. Then you would have to do a 4 gauge feed coming from the positive post of the battery to the fuse block then to the speaker amp. Because the speaker amp, plus the subwoofer amp together would pull a bit more current that one 1/0 ofc wire can handle, so there has to be 2 runs coming from the back battery, one 1/0 gauge run and one 4 gauge run. 

it's been raining on me, so i couldn't throw everything back in, but i cleaned everything up and got some pics of potential ground locations. 

the ground shown is old and painted over, i just cleaned it up to show a potential ground. i can use both sides of the "shelf," just not the middle, as there's a gas tank there. the four channel is going on the right side where the fuse and ground blocks were. 

Photo Aug 28, 17 45 27.jpg

Photo Aug 28, 18 16 02.jpg

for the sake of having fresh information, i recall seeing that my frame grounds were good because of the thick bolt and washers. it's recommended self tapping the lugs to the body with star washers, right? is that stronger than self tapping a ring washer down onto it? 

also, the way i had my grounds set up.. i was under the impression that the ground block itself acted as a ground instead of having to be the middle man and still needing to run down to the frame. i can see why that was incorrect.

Looks good. How long is that speaker amp’s ground gonna be? What are them little hole around the bigger one? You can’t find a way to nut and bolt it? Self tapping is always a last resort and if that happens I can tell you the best way to do so, but try and find a way to nut and bolt the connections. Before rolling around with bad grounds, remember it’s best to ride with no sound than to ride around and potentially damage your gear. So make sure things are correct first.

1 minute ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Looks good. How long is that speaker amp’s ground gonna be? What are them little hole around the bigger one? You can’t find a way to nut and bolt it? Self tapping is always a last resort and if that happens I can tell you the best way to do so, but try and find a way to nut and bolt the connections. Before rolling around with bad grounds, remember it’s best to ride with no sound than to ride around and potentially damage your gear. So make sure things are correct first.

i'm gonna mount the ground wherever it can be cut shortest, if that makes sense. it'll probably be cut down to about 4-6 inches or so.

i can't imagine how i'd bolt it down in the trunk like that. i guess i can tap it for a bolt and not use a nut like i did the frame. i've only seen people use self tappers and washers on the body. i'll look into a few options.

Have you ever thought of cutting a big hole you can fit your hand and arm through in the trunk’s floor about a 18” away from the grounding hole and nut and bolt the amp’s ground. You would just need a drill and a jigsaw. And when it comes to self tapping, which I wouldn’t self tap a 1/0 terminal, you don’t use washers and don’t ever self tap a 1/0 gauge wire terminal. I wouldn’t recommend self tapping any gauge above 4 gauge. Self tapping wouldn’t be the best option either way. 

6 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Have you ever thought of cutting a big hole you can fit your hand and arm through in the trunk’s floor about a 18” away from the grounding hole and nut and bolt the amp’s ground. You would just need a drill and a jigsaw. And when it comes to self tapping, which I wouldn’t self tap a 1/0 terminal, you don’t use washers and don’t ever self tap a 1/0 gauge wire terminal. I wouldn’t recommend self tapping any gauge above 4 gauge. Self tapping wouldn’t be the best option either way. 

i cut the hole for the existing frame ground with my drill and a step bit. i'm gonna cut another one on the right side for two battery grounds. 

i don't know why i didn't think of this, but i can do the same on the left side for the sub amp(s) and send those to the other side of the frame. the wire in the picture is 4ga, so i should be fine self tapping it, huh?

i have waterproof grommets and have the existing hole cut under the carpet and out of sight.

3 minutes ago, 3000iphones said:

i cut the hole for the existing frame ground with my drill and a step bit. i'm gonna cut another one on the right side for two battery grounds. 

i don't know why i didn't think of this, but i can do the same on the left side for the sub amp(s) and send those to the other side of the frame. the wire in the picture is 4ga, so i should be fine self tapping it, huh?

i have waterproof grommets and have the existing hole cut under the carpet and out of sight.

or i could get someone to help me nut and bolt it from below.

Archived