need general wiring advice

1 minute ago, 3000iphones said:

i cut the hole for the existing frame ground with my drill and a step bit. i'm gonna cut another one on the right side for two battery grounds. 

i don't know why i didn't think of this, but i can do the same on the left side for the sub amp(s) and send those to the other side of the frame. the wire in the picture is 4ga, so i should be fine self tapping it, huh?

It’s fine to self tap a 4 gauge wire with 3 screws.

75A53C30-2F6E-4A21-A864-518D342C9A1A.jpeg

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

3 minutes ago, 3000iphones said:

or i could get someone to help me nut and bolt it from below.

That would be best. But if they can’t figure out how to do it, don’t let them talk you into self tapping and just say you can handle it and then just cut a big hole to stick your arm through so you can ground your amp(s) and/ or battery. 

5 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

75A53C30-2F6E-4A21-A864-518D342C9A1A.jpeg

But if you can find a way to nut and bolt that wire, nut and bolt it. Don’t worry about hidden holes under you trunk’s carpet, worry about performance. But see if you can get a professional mechanic to nut and bolt each ground without having to cut the trunk’s floor. They know how. If not, then cut, nut and bolt on the 1/0 gauge grounds and self tap the 4 gauge ground. 

2 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

i'm gonna ground the smart 3 to the left side frame, ground the battery to the right side frame with two 1/0 or 2/0 grounds, and try to nut and bolt the 4 channel. 

1 hour ago, never knows best said:

i thought for sure that image of the grounds was a joke... but it's a vid from sonic electronix... do they have a video on how to remove your palm from your face? i need that vid

You might wanna do so more reading on this thread and you would clearly see that I said self tapping screws are a last resort and I kept veering him away from it even though on smaller gauge wires it works just fine. I know for a fact. Not video experience. Actual experience.

On 8/28/2020 at 11:31 PM, 1point21gigawatts said:

You might wanna do so more reading on this thread and you would clearly see that I said self tapping screws are a last resort and I kept veering him away from it even though on smaller gauge wires it works just fine. I know for a fact. Not video experience. Actual experience.

Lol, relax bud... but really... could you explain why the length of the ground needs to be 18" or shorter? Use some of that actual experience hehehehe 

Let me guess, I remember hearing smart people talk about this subject, here I go... shorter wire equals less resistance. Less resistance equals more/better current flow. Did I get it right? Please tell me I got it right. Lol!

35 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Let me guess, I remember hearing smart people talk about this subject, here I go... shorter wire equals less resistance. Less resistance equals more/better current flow. Did I get it right? Please tell me I got it right. Lol!

Teehee, pepperidge farm remembers smart people. So, 18 inches is just a arbitrary length? maybe like that's just a old wives tale that boomer mechanics say?

Archived