need general wiring advice

Yo, you are mad weird dude. You sound like a fughed up car audio Keebler elf. Like who the fugh says “hehehehe” or “teehee”? Lol! Since you never know best, let me teach you, in most applications, once a ground wire exceeds about a foot and a half the resistance becomes too high to properly support the current flow going to the amp. I have seen so many people on here complaining about their voltage and then I ask how long their ground is and it’s always longer than 18”. But when I get them to shrink it to 18” or below, their voltage is higher and stabilizes better. This applies to amps and batteries. My boy, @Spazy808 had about a 2 foot ground to his frame on his secondary battery and the voltage on his whole setup was almost 14 volts, like 13.9. Once he shortened that battery’s ground to less than 18” to his chassis, now his voltage is 14.8+. Ain’t that right, spazy?

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@never knows best, dude you been on this forum since 2014 and haven’t won any days, which tells me you aren’t helping people on here, which tells me you aren’t the most knowledgeable and helpful on car audio and are just an opinion giver and a hype man on this forum to collaborate with people who are knowledgeable and helpful on car audio. Make some weird Keebler elf noises and go play in your cookies while the grownups talk car audio.

57 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Yo, you are mad weird dude. You sound like a fughed up car audio Keebler elf. Like who the fugh says “hehehehe” or “teehee”? Lol! Since you never know best, let me teach you, in most applications, once a ground wire exceeds about a foot and a half the resistance becomes too high to properly support the current flow going to the amp. I have seen so many people on here complaining about their voltage and then I ask how long their ground is and it’s always longer than 18”. But when I get them to shrink it to 18” or below, their voltage is higher and stabilizes better. This applies to amps and batteries. My boy, @Spazy808 had about a 2 foot ground to his frame on his secondary battery and the voltage on his whole setup was almost 14 volts, like 13.9. Once he shortened that battery’s ground to less than 18” to his chassis, now his voltage is 14.8+. Ain’t that right, spazy?

Yup you are right my dude. Had like a 26” ground was only seeing like 13.8and it would drain low to like 13.2 made the new ground 12” or so and it sit pretty at 14.8 and barely moves 

2 hours ago, never knows best said:

Teehee, pepperidge farm remembers smart people. So, 18 inches is just a arbitrary length? maybe like that's just a old wives tale that boomer mechanics say?

Not a tale it hold true it acts like a parasitic draw and doesn’t allow proper circuit which won’t give you good electrical trust me mine and a lot of other people I know shortened their grounds and got amazing voltage. The shorter you can keep your wires the better it’ll flow. 

The idea of a "short" ground is to make sure it's as close to the same length as the positive cable. Since you are using the chassis (normally) for a ground you have to add that length + the wire length. You actually would have to map out the path it takes to the battery and add the wire length to that. So it could be significantly longer than the positive wire (or shorter too). I have zero idea how to do that though. If you were to run a ground back to the battery it would be just fine. Just super not necessary in most cases since the chassis IS a ground so you would be wasting money and wire. 18" isn't arbitrary, but it's also not a super specific number either. If your ground is 19" long and you cut it back to 18" you don't magically fix anything but you could be in a scenario where 18/19" does cause an issue and shortening it significantly can help. I would suspect that poor wire terminations and/or grounding locations are a much bigger issue with most people installs than how long their ground wire is. 

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

6 hours ago, MrSkippyJ said:

The idea of a "short" ground is to make sure it's as close to the same length as the positive cable. Since you are using the chassis (normally) for a ground you have to add that length + the wire length. You actually would have to map out the path it takes to the battery and add the wire length to that. So it could be significantly longer than the positive wire (or shorter too). I have zero idea how to do that though. If you were to run a ground back to the battery it would be just fine. Just super not necessary in most cases since the chassis IS a ground so you would be wasting money and wire. 18" isn't arbitrary, but it's also not a super specific number either. If your ground is 19" long and you cut it back to 18" you don't magically fix anything but you could be in a scenario where 18/19" does cause an issue and shortening it significantly can help. I would suspect that poor wire terminations and/or grounding locations are a much bigger issue with most people installs than how long their ground wire is. 

I agree with you on some stuff and I don’t agree with you on some stuff. A ground wire from a front battery to a back battery is a shitty ground for that back battery and voltage wouldn’t be optimal. Honestly, who do you see running a ground wire from their front battery to ground their back battery? Nobody does that, even people that money isn’t an issue to them don’t do that because it’s a faulty ground. And I never would say that cutting an inch off of a ground would help anything. If there was a 19” ground, it’s almost the exact same as an 18” ground. There’s nothing that would be gained or lost from an inch difference in reference to a ground wire. Around 18” is a good maximum length to stay “around” (kind of like a manufacturer’s recommendation) because the closer ground wires are to 2 feet long and above then the grounds began to become... shitty.

13 minutes ago, MrSkippyJ said:

why would a wire be a shitty ground? its just not necessary. 

It would be shitty if the resistance was too high because the wire was too long or the connection wasn’t secured correctly. The higher the resistance the worse the current flow. 

well of course it would be shitty if that was true. That would be true for literally any electrical connection that has ever existed. But if the wire isn't too long and was secured correctly then it would be just fine. The only down side to running a dedicated ground is it's pointless, in most cases the chassis is an equal alternative and is cheaper.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived