Sonic Electronix

Wideband or tweets for 2way active setup?

Im working on a 2way active SQL setup.

So far I have a single Sundown SA-12 using a clean 1200rms of an old school Orion HCCA competition amp.

A pair of Stevens MB8s (see pic) in the bottom of the front doors(I will be soundteating the doors to the max) I believe the MB8s will be considered off-axis

And a pair of SB29RDNC-C000-4 planned to go in the a-pillars on axis.

Also a Dayton 408 and a ppi900.4 to power the front stage.

I've talked to Eric Stevens and he recommends something like the SB29 which has high sensitivity to keep up with the MB8s, which have a sensitivy of 98, and the SA12. He did mention that my setup with high output, the tweets should be crossed between 2000-4500, high enough to not blow the tweeters.

I've done a ton a research and have been told the MB8s will begin beaming somewhere around 1500‐2000Hz. And it will be better for them to be crossed as low as possible. My goal is to keep all speakers somewhat near their sweet spot, and have high output clearly. This is going to be my first build and I dont have the ear just yet to pursue pristine SQ, as long as it gets loud and clear without sounding bad and distorted then everything will be good.

My question is would it be better to use a wideband, on axis, in place of the SB29s? It seems the proper wideband will help the MB8s be crossed lower and also be able to play high enough to cover all the top end frequencies. Does this sound like a better plan? For simplicity I'd really like to keep the SB29s and eliminate the need to fabricate a larger spot for a wideband and the need for a 3rd amp, but if the SB29s will flat-out not be a good match I dont mind putting in the extra work. Please advise.

I have been looking at the AF GS25 and the Morel CCWR254 2.5".

I'll be looking for a good used set of widebands for around $100-150 (~$250-300 retail)

Are there any other widebands that will be a good match?

FB_IMG_1598723415297.jpg

Archived